TWITCH POKEMON SPEED RUNS TEAM... & ITS INACTIVITY

Feedback relating to the forum and wiki.
iMAX1UP
Bug Catcher

TWITCH POKEMON SPEED RUNS TEAM... & ITS INACTIVITY

Post by iMAX1UP » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:11 pm

INTRODUCTION...
About 2-3 years ago Pokemon Speed Runs Team on twitch.tv was created by 5upamayne & Magikilo's idea. The purpose of creating PSR team is or was for people to be part of a group that mainly do speedruns of pokemon as well as getting those exposed to viewers that dont know of them & to see who is running them live. The requirements of joning the group is/was: 1.To be ACTIVELY Speedrunning Pokemon games.
2.One must have had a Personal Best(PB) time in a Pokemon game.
3.Being able to stream on twitch.tv pokemon speedruns.

PURPOSE/MATTERS IN QUESTION...
The team now has changed dramatically when it comes to the activity of Pokemon speedrunning. The focus/formality of the team as a whole of POKEMON SPEEDRUNNING seems to be deviating to other stuff. Some runners have taken a break away from pokemon speedruns and gone to play other stuff as their primary source of twitch broadcasting. A small amount are speedrunning games but not actively doing Pokemon games. Others are still playing pokemon but not in the sense of speedrunning/routing and or improving their time/gameplay. Many has other responsibilities to attend to away from broadcasting such as personal matters, job related, school, family, etc. Viewers that like to see a Pokemon Speedrun dont have easy access to watching them due to the reasons mentioned above as well as those new poke runners are not added in the PSR twitch team due to inactive creator of the team. There are just a few that are running Pokemon games and continue doing so actively here on twitch.tv but compare to the vast majority seems like an awkward view of a team knowing that is mostly about POKEMON SPEEDRUNNING. Clearly there is a need for better changes than what we are viewing here and have the team headed in a different direction or keep it as a Pokemon Speedrun team to show not only twitch but viewers & ourselves the formality/focus of the team itself and what we are representing.

PROPOSALS+SUGGESTIONS
The ideas that will be said is from the accumulation of people I have come across and their suggestions so far to what they would like to happen as well as some ideas that I have in mind to have a formal change for the team and have something done overall as oppose to just leave it as is: a careless bunch of people that dont have a focus and formality in twitch.tv. The creator of the team is no longer active to be able to make changes on the PSR team itself often, so we can only work to what we have access. A proposal is to have another team that has an ACTIVE Sub/Partner on twitch.tv that knows that will keep themselves active as long as they can for years. Another way is to have the same team but give the responsibility of changes to someone that is able to make changes of the team that is to say applying the same requirement as stated above activity/sub/partner on twitch.tv. Now the questions rises as to who should we give the access of changes to knowing there are only a few that have SUB/PARTNER on twitch.tv that is actively being part of pokemon speerunning community? Also, if a new team is created, should we give it a different name to accomodate those that dont run pokemon games as well as dont run at all and are just doing casual gaming? If so, then the team itself will be a totally different team that wont be pokemon speedrunning game related as much. Then one has the question to what name should we give it? An idea is to go for something like Pokemon Speedrunnners & Casuals so that way we still represent the running part of pokemon but as well as accomodate those the dont run games and instead are doing SHINY HUNT or RANDOMIZERS/RACES/NUZLOCKE etc. We can also completely go on a different direction and have the a new team name be just something we can all agree on for purposes of keeping our old folks being part of the new team and have a a new aspect/view/direction to go to. A harsh idea would be to remove all those that havent being actively doing pokemon speedrun overall and have guidelines to how to keep themselves in the team as well as having more requirements to maintain more the activity of Pokemon Speerund than other gaming. Of course there are more proposals/suggestions to mention here due to the length of this post.

CONCLUSION...
Keep in mind that being in a team or having one is something to not take for granted. There are plenty of people that want to be part of a team here on twitch, myself included, And here we have people in the pokemon speedrun team that havent broadcast for a year or months or are not even doing pokemon game related stuff and are representing Pokemon Speerun team on twitch. Having a team is knowing how to keep it and maintain it, that is to say has responsibilities to it as well as the formality and focus of it. Twitch only grants those people that have SUB/PARtNER access to creating a team. Ask yourself why Twitch has restricted such access to? I like to think that making a team is not for just anyone that carelessly is doing one and is not actively broadcasting as well as avoid having bunch of random people forming a team that care less about twitch company and its representation. One does not simply get into a team, others that care about what they do here in twitch look for people that also care and have a focus to what their channel is about and if you are fortunate they will invite you. Other than what is stated, one does not simply join a team when one feels like it. I have taken time to message many people to have me in their team & none have reply back for months. I have also seen the lack of care on this PSR team on twitch including those that viewers have admiration to. Thank you to gone this far reading this.

FEEDBACK/EXTRAS...
Feel free to give any ideas you have in mind, It will only help the team to know of them because anything is good as oppose to no action taken at all. Any thought of yours matters since you took the time to read all this it clearly points that you do want to be part of such team as well as represent what you are doing now. I take twitch seriously when it comes to what i do on twitch... I like what i have accomplished as far as knowing what I am in the gaming community and I would love to have many people like that around so we can all be part of something and have good times together improving our quality of life as long as we are granted of life. Thank you again & awesome times. :D
Last edited by iMAX1UP on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
♥ CHECK ME OUT ♥
Image Image Image Image Image

Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Re: TWITCH POKEMON SPEED RUNS TEAM... & ITS INACTIVITY

Post by Decon082 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:10 am

Is there a way to hide yourself from being shown on the Twitch team? I know I'm one of the cases of someone that's somewhat retired from speedrunning Pokemon and streams a lot of other stuff. But I still am a part of the community. It would be nice if I could hide myself from being shown on the team page without actually removing myself from the team, because then I could re-add myself back if I do return to doing runs again.
I am the person who has ruined Red "Glitchless" forever and seconhandedly, Blue NSC Single Segment too
http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/subscribe

jtmagicman
Schoolkid

Post by jtmagicman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:51 am

Decon082 wrote:Is there a way to hide yourself from being shown on the Twitch team?

Unfortunately there isnt an option to that yet.

My 2 cents into this is transferring the team over to someone who is a bit more active then 5upa (nothing againist him we all have IRL stuff) but that would be his call to make. I do agree that some of the team needs a "clean up" some dont run games ect, as for myself I like taking small breaks from pokemon and branch out to other things so I wouldnt like being removed from the team.

The team in general is there to find other pokemon runners. I dont really agree with creating an entire new team when we allready have one.

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:31 am

Disclaimer: we are keeping an eye on this thread and responses. We just don't have any real "productive" opinion on the matter. This is what we know, though:

1a) Teams can be transferred, but both the transferer and the transferee can no longer make another team. So team transferring is a really meh option.

1b) Just because somebody is active/inactive now doesn't mean they won't stay active/inactive, so a transfer doesn't necessarily facilitate a permanent change, just a temporary change.

1c) Very few of us have the ability to make a team.

1d) Anybody that can make a team is free to do whatever they want with it, so if somebody did indeed want to make some sort of general purpose Pokemon team (or one that focused solely on casual/competitive/et cetera), there really isn't any stopping them from doing so.

2) Following/searching games is an option, so looking for specific content isn't restricted to just looking at people on certain teams.

iMAX1UP
Bug Catcher

Post by iMAX1UP » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:50 am

Keizaron wrote:We just don't have any real "productive" opinion on the matter.

When you mean we, you meant you? Im sure others do have a productive opinion considering they are just as important as you are. Or are you speaking on behalf of everyone?

1a) I agree on no transfer. Doesnt really solve anything.

1b) Nothing is really permanent, as things passes by there are always changes whether they are good or not, we can choose to make it either way.

1c) Very few indeed can make a team, but is still a possibility as oppose to NONE.

1d) Didnt mention stopping anybody to make a team, I simply stated what is observe on the team itself of PSR on twitch. Am i being misleading when i said about creating a team for the purpose of keeping it active?

1e) People overall dont know what they want when it comes to watching something, just as long as you present whats given and have the choice to pick what they want to watch then they can decide to pick for themselves. But when nothing is present for them to choose then they wont know is there to choose. In other words how do I know you exist as a specific (game title) runner? How would i be able to follow you if i dont know if you even exist?

Keep in Mind: Ask yourself what do you think People in the Pokemon Speedrun Team do in twitch.tv? Do they concentrate mostly on Pokemon games and running them? Or Do they just game anything else that is not really related to PSR? Keep in mind I said MOSTLY... If the case is about doing anything else then perhaps we can just simply change the Title of the team to anythinge else team(this was just an example).
♥ CHECK ME OUT ♥

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:00 pm

iMAX1UP wrote:When you mean we, you meant you? Im sure others do have a productive opinion considering they are just as important as you are. Or are you speaking on behalf of everyone?
We means the staff. The staff has discussed this in the past and we're watching the thread.
Last edited by Keizaron on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iMAX1UP
Bug Catcher

Post by iMAX1UP » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:39 pm

Keizaron wrote: We means the staff.
If the staff have had discussed such matter in the past, then why havent we come up with something solid and waiting for one to post a thread about it?
♥ CHECK ME OUT ♥

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:30 pm

iMAX1UP wrote:If the staff have had discussed such matter in the past, then why havent we come up with something solid and waiting for one to post a thread about it?
Quite frankly, we haven't come up with a change that's worth implementing. There were some public discussions (albeit brief) in some of the Skype groups before we migrated to Discord, and it's something that people talk about amongst each other decently enough. My personal opinion on it was it wasn't really something worth making a thread over during those times of discussion. Note that that's my opinion and not necessarily reflective of the staff.

The biggest issue behind this is there's no 100% easy, painless solution.

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Post by RXFADEZ » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Just curious if anybody knows how the programming on sites like SRL works where you can have streamers listed in viewer order. Could we potentially have a similar style page set up where we can add all of the runners? Perhaps a set of options too so people can tick a box to say whether they're speedrunning or not. Not sure how viable this thought it.

entrpntr
Pokémon Trainer

Post by entrpntr » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:26 am

Once I found there was a page to view all live streams of speedrun.com users playing Pokémon games (link), I don't think I ever used the PSR Twitch team page again. There's usually no more than 10-12 streams on the page and you can clearly pick out who is speedrunning and who isn't since it includes stream titles. It also requires no additional maintenance beyond that which is currently performed by leaderboard admins/mods. Of course this doesn't cover community members playing non-Pokémon games, which sounds like one of the goals.

Since we were requiring people to post in the forum thread to be added to the team, is there a way we could just build something into the forum? For example, Team Liquid has a sidebar displaying what members are livestreaming; same with the 2p2 poker forums in their Twitch subforum. Something similar that is simple and in our control seems like a better solution than the Twitch team, and we could implement whatever features we wanted. I don't know what you can do with phpBB and a quick Google search didn't turn up any existing Twitch integration add-ons, so there would probably be some labor involved. Personally, the speedrun.com page works well enough for all my purposes, but this is a possible approach if people aren't happy with the current solutions.

Exarion
Cooltrainer

Post by Exarion » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:00 am

I think I checked that page a few months ago and didn't see any streams, so I assumed it wasn't functional. Looks great now -- a clearly superior alternative to the Twitch team page. Integrating that feature into the forum might be a good start.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/exarionu
Pokemon Red speedrunning guide: http://pastebin.com/CkVA5yvJ

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”