*~ minihacks ~*

The BS that we all know and love
EpicFail
Preschooler

Re: *~ minihacks ~*

Post by EpicFail » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:18 am

Are there going to be minihacks for generations after 1 and 2? Just wondering.

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:48 pm

EpicFail wrote:Are there going to be minihacks for generations after 1 and 2? Just wondering.
Gen1 and Gen2 have really awesome disassemblies that let us make these kind of hacks very easily. Whilst gen3-5 hacking in general is obviously a thing, code hacking is much more difficult and inconvenient for us due to the lack of an equivalent to the disassemblies. So in other words, no there probably won't be many, at least in the near future.

gifvex
Bug Catcher

Post by gifvex » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:50 pm

PC Jack (Red/Blue)
  • The PC Potion is replaced with Cancel
Last edited by gifvex on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Exarion
Cooltrainer

Post by Exarion » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:21 am

Basic route for the Mewtwo% hack: http://pastebin.com/tfxqxtq8
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/exarionu
Pokemon Red speedrunning guide: http://pastebin.com/CkVA5yvJ

luckytyphlosion
Pokémon Trainer

Post by luckytyphlosion » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:49 am

Bump because fastmenu update (and gif partially told me to)
Jack-Flys are OpieOP.

"GO ASK SANQUI" - luckytyphlosion whenever someone asks about how something in Pokémon Red/Blue works. (this means you exarion Kappa)

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:43 am

Since Sanqui had already started indexing all the minihacks in the OP, I went ahead and updated it with everything posted up until now.

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:11 pm

Requesting a Red/Blue hack that limits pokemon to 3 moves, with no other changes, and another in a similar vain but allows up to 5 moves.
~

gifvex
Bug Catcher

Post by gifvex » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:00 am

Kanto Cup (Red/Blue)
  • All Pokemon are set to level 50 and are fully evolved
  • Experience and stat experience gain is disabled
  • Vitamins, Rare Candies, and drink items cannot be used
  • Medicine, X items, and vitamins are not sold in marts
  • Poke Flute cannot be used in battle
  • Party is fully healed after a battle
  • All Repel variants work regardless of level
  • All Poke Ball variants have 100% catch rate
Roundabout (Red/Blue)
  • S.S. Ticket's and HM03's locations are swapped
  • Cut's and Surf's badge requirements are swapped
edit: dead links, leaving post for descriptions
Last edited by gifvex on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:54 am

Request/suggestion by gifvex - Red/Blue AI battles
Red / Blue

In this minihack you have no control over your own move choices - they are selected by the game's "good" AI (all clauses 1-3 activated). Be very afraid!

gifvex
Bug Catcher

Post by gifvex » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:50 am

Torrent (Red/Blue) by luckytyphlosion
  • Squirtle, Wartortle, and Blastoise have Water-type attacks boosted by 50% when at or below 1/3 HP
  • An issue was fixed 30 minutes after this post's timestamp, make sure to download again if necessary
Blind (Red/Blue)
  • Trainers are blind and have a view range of 0, please be mindful
  • Pewter Mart now sells Repels in addition to its original inventory
Cerberus (Red/Blue)
  • Instead of a single starter, the player receives all three eeveelutions
  • Any eeveelutions in party automatically receive experience in battle
  • Switching to an eeveelution in battle does not divide the experience
  • The fast text option prints text at 0 frames per character
edit: dead links, leaving post for descriptions
Last edited by gifvex on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Post by Decon082 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:42 pm

Can we have a romhack where every opponent Pokemon is Hombone and none of your Pokemon are allowed to learn moves that are effective against Rock types? Kappa

I am the person who has ruined Red "Glitchless" forever and seconhandedly, Blue NSC Single Segment too
http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/subscribe

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:34 am

Manipulation (Red / Blue)
- RNG no longer depends on rDiv, it uses a lookup table instead
- RNG is no longer called once per frame
- In order to make manipulation actually viable, RNG is called once per text character displayed instead (including characters displayed instantly; different screens have different timings for redrawing text but should be consistent within themselves)
- RNG is called by things that need random values that didn't call it before (so Wild Pokemon will call RNG once before pulling the values, meaning you can advance the RNG precisely by taking a step or a turn frame)

The aim of this small minihack is to make RNG manipulable Gen1 games which don't require 100% frame perfect inputs to manipulate, as the title suggests. This is NOT the same as fixed RNG - you can still change events by opening/closing menus and sometimes changing between options in menus. On the overworld you'll need to be careful to be frame perfect in your inputs when there are NPCs loaded, lest their movement advance the RNG to a state you don't want. But considering how much Gen1 movement can be buffered, this shouldn't be an issue.

(Update v1.1: ditched hRandomSub because it was completely useless in this ecosystem. Should make the RNG repeat less.)

luckytyphlosion
Pokémon Trainer

Post by luckytyphlosion » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:15 pm

Decon082 wrote:Can we have a romhack where every opponent Pokemon is Hombone and none of your Pokemon are allowed to learn moves that are effective against Rock types? Kappa
Everything is Hombone (Red / Blue)
- All Trainer Pokémon have Hombone, which basically adds (not replaces) rock/ground to Trainer Mons. This affects STAB in the following way:
        - If the Enemy Pokémon happens to be Rock or Ground, STAB is 2x
        - If the Enemy Pokémon is Rock/Ground, STAB is 3x
        - Otherwise, STAB is the normal 1.5x

- All obtained Pokémon cannot learn any moves that would be super effective against Hombone itself. This means no learning Water, Grass, Ice, Ground or Fighting Moves. In addition, HM03 has been replaced with the Surfboard.
        - When calculating move effectiveness, the Pokémon's original types are used in the calculation, following with using
         Rock/Ground. This means that using a NVE move on a Rock or Ground-type Pokémon would result in a 4x resistance.
        - If a Pokémon at capture would have no moves to use (e.g. Oddish with only Absorb), it is given Splash as a dummy
         move.

- Effectiveness Text has been fixed to display the correct effectiveness.
- All moves that hit will do at least 1 damage (so no fake Gen 1 misses)
- OHKO moves are banned because Kappa b, although fixed damage moves (e.g. Seismic Toss) are allowed.
- Instant Text is enabled for sanity reasons.
Last edited by luckytyphlosion on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack-Flys are OpieOP.

"GO ASK SANQUI" - luckytyphlosion whenever someone asks about how something in Pokémon Red/Blue works. (this means you exarion Kappa)

Glitchhaks
Preschooler

Post by Glitchhaks » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:00 pm

I would like a Pokemon gold rom made where the battle music is changed to "The Animal I've Become" by Three Days Grace

Rena
Preschooler

Post by Rena » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:19 pm

Pokemon Red/Blue with various minor improvements:
  • Hold B to run.
  • Low health alarm stops after a couple seconds.
  • Battle screen shows both level and status, if applicable.
  • Battle screen shows more information about your selected move.
  • Enemy's status has a Pokéball icon when you've already caught that Pokémon species (like in Gold/Silver). This applies even during trainer battles, because I always find myself fighting some mon and going "do I have one of those?" even if I can't catch it.
  • Can view your Pokémon's stats screens when selecting a Pokémon to switch out after yours or an opponent's has fainted.
  • When buying, selling or tossing items, press Left/Right to adjust the quantity by 10.
  • When buying items, the menu shows how many you already have.
  • Text speed can be adjusted from 0 to 7 frames per character. 0 (i.e. no delay) is the default setting.
  • Cut, Surf and Strength can be used by pressing A in front of the appropriate object, without needing to open the menu.
Debug versions also add:
  • While holding B, you can walk through walls and won't get into any wild Pokémon encounters.
  • The game boots directly to the title screen rather than to the logo/intro animation.
  • When starting a new game, most of the opening dialogue is skipped; you start outside the player's house, and the default player names (NINTEN and SONY) are used.
  • A debug menu has been added to the pause menu. (Not everything works perfectly.)
(Some of these functions were present in the original program and only disabled. Others have been added from scratch.)

All four ROMs here.

Source is forked from an old version of pokered. You can easily tweak/disable all modifications.

Image Image Image Image

I originally made this hoping the enhancements would get integrated into Sanqui's randomizer, but that never happened. OpieOP

luckytyphlosion
Pokémon Trainer

Post by luckytyphlosion » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:18 am

Latest Version: v1.0.5

Pokered-Chaos (Red / Blue)
Tl;dr lots of random shit happens

In-depth explanation:
- There are 3 chaos effects that are in effect at a time. (What's a chaos effect? Why don't you figure out yourself Kappa)
- Additionally, there are 3 chaos effect types: overworld, battle and menu. When in the overworld, only the overworld effects happen (although some effects may linger). This applies to battle and menu as well.
- Every 30 seconds, a chaos effect from each type is replaced, and the chaos effects are run through again. Additionally, there is a 1/256 chance every 30 seconds to create a new effect, with a maximum of 31 effects at a time.
- The game shouldn't explicitly crash, unless I messed up somewhere, or by some rare occurrence where multiple effects running at a time might crash the game when combined together. You should be able to get through without using savestates.
Last edited by luckytyphlosion on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack-Flys are OpieOP.

Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Post by Decon082 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:57 am

Can someone make a romhack of Red/Blue where Image doesn't give you instant text? I feel dirty playing a game that has such a blatant use of gameshark and would like to have this gameshark removed from the game so that Gen 1 can be clean again.
I am the person who has ruined Red "Glitchless" forever and seconhandedly, Blue NSC Single Segment too

Aroymart
Preschooler

Post by Aroymart » Mon May 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Hey here ya go bud, you can find the project on github Here

Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Post by Decon082 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Aroymart wrote:Hey here ya go bud, you can find the project on github Here
Cool, thanks! Kappa b

piapwns
Preschooler

Post by piapwns » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:29 am

Decon082 wrote:Can someone make a romhack of Red/Blue where Image doesn't give you instant text? I feel dirty playing a game that has such a blatant use of gameshark and would like to have this gameshark removed from the game so that Gen 1 can be clean again.

here you go friend.

Pokemon Red/Blue IT purged Here

Pinkpanther01
Bug Catcher

Post by Pinkpanther01 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:03 am

Love the Fastmenu rom hack, makes quite a bit of fun play and plus has grand opportunity for new runs for the unofficial leaderboard

Blu-Ray
Preschooler

Post by Blu-Ray » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:27 pm

luckytyphlosion wrote:Pokémon Red/Blue with many optimizations to make menus, text mashing, loading times, etc. faster.

Red
Blue

Hopefully there aren't any bugs left =P.
The links to this fastmenu hack are dead. Would you mind reuploading them? :)

Glitchhaks
Preschooler

Post by Glitchhaks » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:16 am

Would it be possible you could bring gen 2 hmm usage (e.g. strength by pressing a on the rock) to pokemonspeedruns blue or red?
KevinTurtle KevinTurtle KevinTurtle Kappa

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:05 am

Crystal Speedchoice latest version (v3.3 right now): link

Basically fastmenu for Crystal but better Kappa

Changelog:
v3.3 - Fixed randomizer compatibility & Burned Tower rival softlock
v3.2 - Added Pikalax's fast HP bars patch
v3.1 - First release to forums

Blu-Ray
Preschooler

Post by Blu-Ray » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:43 am

I just finished expless red today, and it was a lot of fun! Forces you to play the game very differently, and it is quite a challenge to beat Brock in particular, while the last parts of the game become quite easy with the legendary birds. Thank you for making this Sanqui!
I'd like to request expless crystal please, because I'd love to play that through as well! If someone would make that for me, that would be amazing :)

Return to “Randomizers and Rom Hacks”