Simple Questions & Answers

EvilPenguin
Preschooler

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

Post by EvilPenguin » Thu May 15, 2014 10:21 pm

I've tested the glitchless Round 1 route with the absolute minimum dex seen (with an emulator and savestates) and you see 141 exactly. That's using Piplup strats btw

List of ones missing:

Code: Select all

1.	Monferno
2.	Kricketot
3.	Kricketune
4.	Shinx
5.	Kadabra
6.	Magikarp
7.	Graveler
8.	Machop
9.	Psyduck
10.	Wormadam
11.	Cascoon
12.	Dustox
13.	Combee
14.	Ambipom
15.	Lopunny
16.	Gastly
17.	Gengar
18.	Misdreavus
19.	Goldeen
20.	Barboach
21.	Medicham
22.	Bonsly
23.	Sudowoodo
24.	Mime jr
25.	Happiny
26.	Cleffa
27.	Chatot
28.	Pichu
29.	Pikachu
30.	Unown
31.	Riolu
32.	Wooper
33.	Hippopotas
34.	Skorupi
35.	Carnivine
36.	Octillery
37.	Finneon
38.	Lumineon
39.	Tentacool
40.	Tentacruel
41.	Feebas
42.	Snover
43.	Uxie
44.	Mesprit
45.	Azelf
46.	Manaphy
47.	Rotom
48.	Probopass
49.	Gardevoir
50.	Lickilicky
51.	Eevee
52.	Vaporeon
53.	Umbreon
54.	Leafeon
55.	Glaceon
56.	Togepi
57.	Togetic
58.	Tangelo
59.	Yanma
60.	Rhyhorn
61.	Rhydon
62.	Dusclops
63.	Porygon
64.	Porygon2
65.	Scythe
66.	Elekid
67.	Magby
68.	Swinub
69.	Snorunt
Offhand, I think if you use Chimchar instead of Piplup you still see 141 minumum - the only changes would be the Turtwig/Buizel lines switching in Barry's team to Roselia/Piplup, as well as Lucas's team in Jubilife (or god forbid the Veilstone battle goes horribly wrong). Buizel is on the team of that Ace Trainer right before Veilstone, Wake has Floatzel, Lucas has Turtwig in Jubilife, and Torterra is on the team of that female Ace Trainer in Victory Road. You miss out on Grotle this time around, but in exchange you see your own Monferno so it evens out (aside from the fact that the random Trainer Monferno you'll come across is much more convenient to face than the random Grotle)

Cooltrainermichael
Site Admin

Post by Cooltrainermichael » Thu May 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Just an observation, but I feel that this discussion can warrant it's own thread if you would like to create one to promote discussion? Probably include some summary points that were brought up. This might be a bit longer than a simple question Kappa
El.Psy.Congroo.
Image Image Image Image Image

EvilPenguin
Preschooler

Post by EvilPenguin » Fri May 16, 2014 12:27 am

Look at CTM with his reasonable suggestions and stuff Kappa

Cooltrainermichael
Site Admin

Post by Cooltrainermichael » Fri May 16, 2014 5:01 am

I mean, instead of making the thread just a continuation, probably just sum up major discussion points that you, Fretzi, Pokefluke, and others brought up? I'm guessing your goal is to try to make this a legitimate category, so making a discussion post with the major points brought up might even bring others to the discussion? : )
El.Psy.Congroo.

EvilPenguin
Preschooler

Post by EvilPenguin » Fri May 16, 2014 3:50 pm

Yeah, I'm going to, I've just been a bit busy yesterday and today. Will probably get to it tonight.

anirocks99
Schoolkid

Post by anirocks99 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:40 pm

luckytyphlosion wrote: The choice is, Infernape vs. Empoleon?
Long story short, in Glitchless R1+2, its much faster to use Piplup in the longrun considering its faster than Infernape in the end. This wasn't an issue in Pearl Glitchless since we used Palkia which in combination with Chimchar was faster than Piplup. By this standard, Glitched R1+2 should use Chimchar since it deals with the early game the fastest and even though its underleveled, we can have someone like MK find a way to Manipulate both a perfect starter and master ball lottery like for HG/SS. As for pokemon, Palkia isn't a great Pokemon considering how much effort it takes to actually be able to catch it. But at the same time, there isn't very many options left to convey towards each pokemon since each has its pros and cons:

1. Lake Guardians(Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf; Azelf Preferred for good moveset, Attack Stats and Speed, nonroamer)
Pros: Azelf Learns a Wide Variety of Moves, Can be Encountered immediately after R1(Assuming its based purely on triggers)
Cons: Only Level 50 at encounter, Master Ball required for efficency.

2. Creation Trio(Dialga/Palkia/Giratina; Palkia preferred for Specs Swag and better movepool)
Pros: Level 70, Specs make it a monster; E4 and Postgame not much of a challenge
Con: Small sidequest required to get it(assuming its only run off a trigger, otherwise skip it)

3.Heatran
Pros: Solid Special, Good Movepool, somewhat part of main R2 story
Con: Only Level 50

ashwinte
Preschooler

Post by ashwinte » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:46 am

Just wondering... is there a full-length speedrun of Gen 4- Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, other than twitch.tv?

Just wondering. :D

-Ashley W

Luckless
Site Admin

Post by Luckless » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:23 pm

ashwinte wrote:Just wondering... is there a full-length speedrun of Gen 4- Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, other than twitch.tv?

Just wondering. :D

-Ashley W
All the glitchless times on the leaderboard were on twitch. The only Gen 4 category to be listed on the leaderboard in the form of a youtube video is Playe's D/P Glitched Run. However, I just did a search and actually Vincento did upload his D/P Glitchless Run to youtube in parts, so I guess there's your answer :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are" - Mewtwo

ashwinte
Preschooler

Post by ashwinte » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks!!

Desch
Preschooler

Post by Desch » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Not sure if this idea is of enough interest to warrant its own thread, so I'm just posting it here.

I was wondering if a Battle Frontier all gold medals run would be possible. The basic things we'd need to figure out would be which game is fastest to get to the Battle Frontier, what the team we should have and how to efficiently do it that and all facilities in the Battle Frontier. I think we should make it a glitched run, as it opens up many more options.

If we do a glitched run, we could use the rage glitch to get a Machoke/Machamp with No Guard and Sheer Cold and basically just sweep trough 4/5 facilities. The only problems this strat would have is that this poke is very slow, we're not allowed to have items in every facility and that some pokes may carry sashes or have sturdy (and maybe even focus band?) enabling them to live a Sheer Cold. The other 2 pokes we should choose would be pokes that could both support Machoke/Machamp well and take on anything he can't, while also backing him up if we're unlucky with i.e. the battle arcade's board. Maybe Blissey with Heal Bell / Aromatherapy and Healing Wish and/or a poke with sturdy trick room and explosion? (if we chose to use a Trick Room based Machamp). Idk, we have many options here.

If we decide to not do glitchless or something, then we would need another team. I'm thinking Heracross, Starmie and Garchomp, which would only work in Platinum, as getting Gible literally takes a hundred days O.o . I guess these pokes may not be optimal but I really like those, as they have good synergy. They are all protected against status fairly well - Starmie can switch out and cure any status with its Natural Cure, Heracross have Guts, and Garchomp is immune to paralysation (T-Wave and from the Battle Arcade board). The only types that are not resisted by these 3 pokes are: Flying, Ghost, Dragon and Normal, but keep in mind that this is a more offensive team than anything.

So what do you guys think?

GarfieldTheLightning
Youngster

Post by GarfieldTheLightning » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:40 pm

I don't have much experience with the Battle Frontier, but don't you need Machoke to know Mimic or Metronome in order to use the Rage glitch? The only way you could achieve that would be by transferring from a gen 3 game, which would not be allowed in a speedrun.
I speedrun Pokémon Pearl, White 2 and X!

Desch
Preschooler

Post by Desch » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:48 pm

Yeah, i DIdn't think about that, but you are right. If less I could somehow play 2 games at the same time and get the Machoke with Mimic and then trade him (is that even allowed? If you start a new game on 2 different games at the same time?) Another problem would be that No Guard is non-existent in gen 3, which would cause problems. I have heard that one from gen 3 can get No Guard regardless, but I really don't have any reliable source on that. So I guess it will just be easier to go with the 2nd party I had, then.

Rangshada
Preschooler

Post by Rangshada » Tue May 12, 2015 6:25 am

Just starting doing speedruns... Wondering if you guys use an emulator or what you guys use. Any help is appreciated.

Fretzi
Bug Catcher

Post by Fretzi » Sat May 16, 2015 11:43 am

Emulator runs for Gen 4 are seperated from console runs due to the insanely fast loading times.
For console runs you will have to modify your DS console, for more informations, check out http://3dscapture.com

tyrant14
Preschooler

Post by tyrant14 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:42 pm

I want to bring up this discussion again as I have routed this out using Piplup. Here is my current video which is done in 5:42 IGT. http://www.twitch.tv/thetyrant14/v/28547659 . This is my first run with everything routed out so it is not great plus some bad mistakes within and I have made changes. It was a good run for testing. I believe it can be brought down to 5:15-5:20 though. I plan on doing more runs but that's what I have for now.

The other case I want to make is I think it should be considered a category, whether it's misc or not. Since there is a lot that can be done routing wise, because I don't believe what I have routed out is the quickest. There could be other trainers that are faster to fight or instead of fighting trainers you get encounters for the pokemon instead. (But relying on chance) However it could end up being quicker. That's my take on it.

Return to “Generation 4”