Simple Questions & Answers

Shenanagans
Site Admin

Simple Questions & Answers

Post by Shenanagans » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:08 am

Use this thread to ask questions regarding Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Heart Gold/Soul Silver .

EvilPenguin
Preschooler

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

Post by EvilPenguin » Thu May 01, 2014 3:12 am

So has anyone routed Sinnoh (specifically Platinum for me but info on DP might help a bit too) beyond E4 Round 1? I was thinking of trying out E4R2 or Heatran%, but I can't find anyone who's done anything on it.

Fretzi
Bug Catcher

Post by Fretzi » Thu May 01, 2014 8:33 am

Wasn't Heatran just Level 50 in Platinum?
So my strat was getting many Rare Candys (~18) and using them when you fight E4R2.
With this higher level you can beat the second Elite four basicly with the same strats as in the first round.

luckytyphlosion
Pokémon Trainer

Post by luckytyphlosion » Thu May 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Heatran% isn't really a category.

One thing I want to know is: do you need to do the Heatran sidequest to access the upgraded e4, or do you only need to see the Sinnoh Pokedex (except Phione)?
Jack-Flys are OpieOP.

"GO ASK SANQUI" - luckytyphlosion whenever someone asks about how something in Pokémon Red/Blue works. (this means you exarion Kappa)

EvilPenguin
Preschooler

Post by EvilPenguin » Fri May 02, 2014 11:43 am

You need to clear Stark Mountain 1 in order to unlock E4R2

I sorta figured Heatran% would exist as it's the end of the storyline but I guess not.

Fretzi
Bug Catcher

Post by Fretzi » Fri May 02, 2014 11:47 am

You don't need to defeat/catch Heatran, it's enough if you beat the rest of team Galactic while the first stark mountain visit, that is enough to unlock the second Round.
If you use the one Tweak I found in the Duel Zone you don't even need to complete the Sinnoh Dex, that saves over an hour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OGFPPrZz-0

Pokefluke
Bug Catcher

Post by Pokefluke » Sat May 03, 2014 10:04 pm

I think an extra hour to clear sinnoh dex is a bit of an exaggeration from what I've seen, however nonetheless a tweak to skip it still skips it. Assuming that the national dex is not needed to trigger R2, this would then place the run in the glitched category as opposed to the glitchless. So with all this and the other tweaks I've seen as well, I wonder what pokemon you be using to clear the game, assuming the starter would not be enough from the tweak skips.

luckytyphlosion
Pokémon Trainer

Post by luckytyphlosion » Sat May 03, 2014 10:09 pm

You could always catch a high leveled Magikarp and teach it waterfall, strength and possibly Ice fang from the move tutor?
Maybe Choice Specs Surf Palkia?
Jack-Flys are OpieOP.

"GO ASK SANQUI" - luckytyphlosion whenever someone asks about how something in Pokémon Red/Blue works. (this means you exarion Kappa)

Pokefluke
Bug Catcher

Post by Pokefluke » Sat May 03, 2014 11:57 pm

Under the assumption we are still talking Glitched category for Plat R2, (D/P doesn't have R2) this brings up some issues.

The major issue is with tweaking, you have a Masterball Skip. This, however does not rule out catching any legendary pokemon, as with HG, it may be possible to RNG Manip Grand Prize for a Masterball.

The other issue is, the amount of time it takes to catch Palkia in Plat is considerably high. I'm not actually aware of any quick to catch Legendaries that would wipe out the the E4 easily. I'm also not sure what would be happening at Mt Coronet as there's a tweak that skips that. I just did some quick checks, and I believe Palkia is 70 on catch, and Cynthia's highest pokemon is 78, so the biggest problem then becomes a moveset for Palkia if you do take him.

Cooltrainermichael
Site Admin

Post by Cooltrainermichael » Sun May 04, 2014 12:05 am

It seems really awkward to me if Round 2 was glitched. If there isn't a Platinum Any% glitched category, why should Round 2 be glitched?
El.Psy.Congroo.
Image Image Image Image Image

Pokefluke
Bug Catcher

Post by Pokefluke » Sun May 04, 2014 12:14 am

Yeah, although it would be weird, I think it could come about, as it definitely saves time on Platinum otherwise, using the tweaks Fretzi showed here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=138

With a few extra tweaks, I think it could be quite an exciting run, however I think R2 glitched would be more interesting, just because of the challenge it provides. Though both are not only possible and save time off of the alternative glitchless routes. I believe they'll come into existence at some point, though, it's just depending on actually wants to run the category.

Cooltrainermichael
Site Admin

Post by Cooltrainermichael » Sun May 04, 2014 12:16 am

Have you considered making Platinum Any% Glitched a category first, or are the tweaks for it not found yet?
El.Psy.Congroo.
Image Image Image Image Image

luckytyphlosion
Pokémon Trainer

Post by luckytyphlosion » Sun May 04, 2014 2:51 am

Pokefluke wrote:The major issue is with tweaking, you have a Masterball Skip. This, however does not rule out catching any legendary pokemon, as with HG, it may be possible to RNG Manip Grand Prize for a Masterball.
No point in Master Ball RNG manipulating because based 45 catch rate is easy. Kappa

Just Quick Ball Palkia 1st turn, and if that doesn't work lower its health and chuck Dusk Balls.

For Platinum E4R2, here is a link for some of the locations you can "see" pokemon.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/946308-pokem ... faqs/54062

The choice is, Infernape vs. Empoleon?

EDIT: There are tweaks for Platinum, it's just nobody really wants to run Platinum Glitched.
Jack-Flys are OpieOP.

Fretzi
Bug Catcher

Post by Fretzi » Sun May 04, 2014 8:51 am

I tested E4R2 with Infernape and many Rare Candys and I had no real problems.
I don't know how the Game after the first E4 would be with Empoleon but I guess it would be interesting to test.
A glitchless E4R2 sounds boring to me due you need to walk through pretty much entire Sinnoh and fight nearly every Trainer just to complete your Pokedex.
We already have a few Tweaks for Glitched/E4R2 that saves overall a lot of time but I think that there are some more I didn't find yet.
So basicly I'm sure that we wouldn't need any extra Pokémons for E4R2/Glitched besides of the HM Slaves.
All Rare Candys I got took less that 1 Minute for each to get, overall I got 18 at the End which increased the Level of my Infernape to ~80 for E4R2 but I'm sure you can collect less to save time, It would just make it a bit harder.
Here are all the 18 Rare Candys I collect:

Before E4R1: Old Chateau - Route 207 (hidden) - Route 210 (hidden) - Veilstone City - Route 212 (hidden) - Route 218 - Mt. Coronet x2 (To Snowpoint City)(both hidden) - Route 217 - Snowpoint City (hidden) - Route 223 - Victory Road x2 (first in F2 (hidden), second in B1F surf at the bottom and then go up the stairs) -

After E4R1: Route 230 (Do the Nat. Pokedex Skip Tweak just into the other direction) - Route 225 - Survival Area - Route 226 (hidden) - Route 228 (hidden)

EvilPenguin
Preschooler

Post by EvilPenguin » Mon May 05, 2014 11:18 am

I disagree that a glitchless category would be boring, because there's a lot of interesting ways you can try to finish the dex, and no two runs would be the same. For example, off the top of my head I know that there are only a couple of trainers who use a Medicham, and none of them are required to be battled during the any% route. In fact, they all happen to be in rather inconvenient locations - one on Route 220, then a couple in Iron Island. So to see a Medicham, you'd probably have to try running around Mt. Coronet without repels on. That's inconsistent, as you may wind up running into a bunch of things that aren't Medicham (and i have no idea what its encounter rate is). So do you risk finding 20 Graveler, or plan your route to take the detour to one of those places on your way? Do you take the time to hatch the Togepi egg, or do you just battle the Breeder who has one + four other mons that you'll see anyway and take the extra EXP? Should you evolve the free Eevee in Hearthome into a Leafeon on your way to grab Rotom, or into a Glaceon on your way to Snowpoint, or how about grabbing a ton of the vitamin item balls and getting it to be an Umbreon?

It's like FRLG Round 2, because it requires a fair bit of on-the-fly thinking.

Pokefluke
Bug Catcher

Post by Pokefluke » Wed May 07, 2014 8:53 am

I would definitely say that encountering a Medicham would make more sense than fighting the trainer. I'm not sure how many pokemon this trainer has, or how out of the way he/she is but, you'd be able to get a few encounters in there and still be faster then going out of your way to, find the trainer, fight the trainer and then get back on track with the run after fighting the trainer, unless there was more to do there. I do believe this run has a lot of potential, however I can't see it getting picked up too soon.

As for the Infernape, we'd have to see where the lowest level pays off whilst still being more time effective. From what I've heard, Infernape should be the better choice at this point, but depending on skips, would decide what would need to be done after R1. I might have a deeper look into the route some point, however, that would mostly just be tweak hunting at this point. Some things that I would be potentially big skips is 3rd gym skip. I'd also be interested in what happens with a Psyduck Skip, to Celestic town, however I don't know platinum quite as well as I do D/P, so I might have to watch the Glitchless WR for a better understanding, of where skips might be possible.

It would be awesome if we could create a full world map of Tweak Lines for D/P, I know Eek/Chub, already did it from beginning to 2nd Gym.

luckytyphlosion
Pokémon Trainer

Post by luckytyphlosion » Sat May 10, 2014 2:29 am

The Starter also has a minor role in seeing Pokémon, as the rival has different teams. Would this change which starter to use? Will we be using Palkia for e4r2, or hoarding rare candies to use on Infernape/Empoleon?
Jack-Flys are OpieOP.

heero_fred
Youngster

Post by heero_fred » Sat May 10, 2014 2:43 am

doesn't one of the starters final evos doesn't appear at all if you don't pick it/your starter picks it? or am I thinking of a different gen?

Fretzi
Bug Catcher

Post by Fretzi » Sat May 10, 2014 8:44 am

As far as I remember in D/P/Pt you can see every Starter Pokémon in their fully evolved forms, you just need to know what Trainer they have.

Pokefluke
Bug Catcher

Post by Pokefluke » Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Fretzi wrote:You don't need to defeat/catch Heatran, it's enough if you beat the rest of team Galactic while the first stark mountain visit, that is enough to unlock the second Round.
If you use the one Tweak I found in the Duel Zone you don't even need to complete the Sinnoh Dex, that saves over an hour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OGFPPrZz-0
In regards to seeing pokemon, and I wonder how many rare candies you actually need to beat the R2

luckytyphlosion
Pokémon Trainer

Post by luckytyphlosion » Sat May 10, 2014 9:47 pm

shouldn't there be a glitchless and glitched category?
Jack-Flys are OpieOP.

Fretzi
Bug Catcher

Post by Fretzi » Sat May 10, 2014 10:01 pm

It seems like there will be a Glitched, Glitchless, Glitched E4R2 and Glitchless E4R2 in Platinum

anirocks99
Schoolkid

Post by anirocks99 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:39 am

Fretzi wrote:It seems like there will be a Glitched, Glitchless, Glitched E4R2 and Glitchless E4R2 in Platinum
If you had to give a rough estimate as to how long Glitchless E4R2 would be in Platinum, what would be a valid estimate?

EvilPenguin
Preschooler

Post by EvilPenguin » Thu May 15, 2014 10:03 am

Platinum round 1 WR is about 4 hours I believe, so I'd guess R2 would be around 5h30m

Fretzi
Bug Catcher

Post by Fretzi » Thu May 15, 2014 2:07 pm

I'm sure you can complete R2 in less than 5 hours if you use glitches because I got 5:05 in a test run. It wasn't SS but Sub 5 is definitly possible with a solid Run and you can skip 30 Minutes of the 4 hours from a Glitchless Run by doing Sunshore early.

Glitchless R2 would be 5:30-6 hours since you need to see all 210 Pokemons atleast once and you only see 150-160 in a R1 Speedrun.

Return to “Generation 4”