Pokémon Stadium Metronome Castle

The BS that we all know and love
abitalive
Super Nerd

Pokémon Stadium Metronome Castle

Post by abitalive » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:57 am

Here's a Stadium romhack I made for Lunar. All the Gym Leader Castle rentals have Metronome as all four of their moves. There's another version where all the (Round 1) trainers have Metronome too.

http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/lUhgqfZ1/file.html

Edit: Changed link to PPF patches.

These patches should be applied to "Pokemon Stadium (U) [!].z64" with CRC 72F66F05. Use PPF-O-MATIC or another PPF tool to apply the patch.

froggy25
Bug Catcher

Re: Pokémon Stadium Metronome Castle

Post by froggy25 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:40 pm

I tried to battle Lorelei in Round 2, her Pokémon had their usual moves. Did you only do Round 1 ?

Also, you don't need to set the PPs to 0xFF, as it doesn't have any effect since a subroutine compares this to the Moves data at 0x73700 when the battle starts, setting these back to 16 :P

jtmagicman
Schoolkid

Post by jtmagicman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:00 am

Can confim fun to race :p

abitalive
Super Nerd

Post by abitalive » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:40 am

froggy25 wrote:I tried to battle Lorelei in Round 2, her Pokémon had their usual moves. Did you only do Round 1 ?

Also, you don't need to set the PPs to 0xFF, as it doesn't have any effect since a subroutine compares this to the Moves data at 0x73700 when the battle starts, setting these back to 16 :P
Oh yea I only changed the R1 trainers. But changing the R2 trainers will be pretty easy too if anyone would like that.

I noticed the same about the PPs after setting them all to FF, but was too lazy to go back and fix them. :P I didn't realize that was where the subroutine was though, do you think we could NOP it out easily to give each move 255 PP?

Have you poked around the Stadium ROM much before? Perhaps you could teach me a thing or two in that case.

froggy25
Bug Catcher

Post by froggy25 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:18 pm

I started a ROM Map there:
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/ ... um:ROM_map

It's probably not the cleanest way to display code (at least until I move this stuff to GitHub), but if you search for a specific info regarding the battle mechanics you might find it there.

It's the Moves data which is at 0x73700, not the routine reading this data, which is at 0x35B740.
You shouldn't NOP this part as it is also used by the battle program.

abitalive
Super Nerd

Post by abitalive » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:41 am

Very nice, I hope this ends up with us having a better understanding of the trainer AI. I went ahead and added the CPU Pokémon locations for all the other cups, since I had them handy (may still need to add the Mewtwo fights). Those are the addresses I used to export this data.

Thanks for the heads up about the routine at 0x35B740, I might look in to this later.

froggy25
Bug Catcher

Post by froggy25 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:00 am

Thank you for adding the CPU Pokémon locations :)

I had started a team editor for Stadium, but stopped it several months ago by lack of motivation. I might go back to it, as it would make CPU teams editing much more faster.

Also, looking into the trainer AI is a priority indeed. I had noticed a few weird things on Stadium 2 (like Falkner's Zapdos messing with the "random" number -quotes because the PRNG seems to be fixed prior to the battle in Stadium 2- ), but I didn't delve too much into this. I'll work a bit more on Stadium before looking at Stadium 2.

froggy25
Bug Catcher

Post by froggy25 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:57 am

Well, I've just started.

I'm looking at R2 Mewtwo script atm, and it has a weird behavior, such as always using an offensive move rather than Rest after a single Amnesia, as long as it doesn't get status'd.
A Mewtwo with a status will use Rest as soon as it loses any amount of HP. A paralyzed 410/415 HP Mewtwo will use Rest.
For example, Mewtwo will keep using Psychic even if it's at 1 HP left against a full health Exeggutor, but if you use Stun Spore on it Mewtwo will Rest.

I'll do Cup trainers next.

Return to “Randomizers and Rom Hacks”