Accurate emulators for Mac?

For all Pokémon-related discussion, general speedrunning as well.
Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Accurate emulators for Mac?

Post by Decon082 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:21 am

So I have been slowly getting one of my friends into casual speedrunning, and I've helped him set up his stream and such. Only problem is, he has a Mac, so whatever version of VBA he found is having all sorts of issues with autosaves and other emulator features we can't figure out how to fix or disable.

I know there is a Mac version of Gambatte but we haven't got around to any testing yet to know if it's any good.

My question is, which emulators, if any, are Mac-compatible and would be considered acceptable for general speedrunning? I'm mainly interested in GB/GBC/GBA emulation, but feel free to post any other emulators you know are accurate if you have any Mac experience. Keep in mind this is all for casual runs and races so I'm not worried about anything being official or not.
I am the person who has ruined Red "Glitchless" forever and seconhandedly, Blue NSC Single Segment too
http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/subscribe

Exarion
Cooltrainer

Re: Accurate emulators for Mac?

Post by Exarion » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:15 am

Gambatte is identical to the Windows version as far as I can tell. I haven't found a good GBA emulator for Mac.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/exarionu
Pokemon Red speedrunning guide: http://pastebin.com/CkVA5yvJ

G_heinz
Pokémon Trainer

Post by G_heinz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:38 am

VBA-M should work perfectly fine. i run on emulator on mac and it's what i've always used. it doesn't have as many features as the windows version but it should still suffice.

Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Post by Decon082 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 pm

G_heinz wrote:VBA-M should work perfectly fine. i run on emulator on mac and it's what i've always used. it doesn't have as many features as the windows version but it should still suffice.
I'm not too familiar with VBA-M or VBA in general, but do you know what the reasoning is for why VBA-M is banned for SRL races but listed as the recommended emulator here on PSR?
I am the person who has ruined Red "Glitchless" forever and seconhandedly, Blue NSC Single Segment too

luckytyphlosion
Pokémon Trainer

Post by luckytyphlosion » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:20 am

VBA-M is banned for SRL because it has very slightly faster loading times.

"We" thought VBA-M was the better emulator because it was still being worked on, unlike VBA, which is dead. Using VBA-M over VBA shouldn't matter for runs as the difference is probably close to nothing, and only Console Times can compete for WR anyways so it isn't much of a problem.
Jack-Flys are OpieOP.

"GO ASK SANQUI" - luckytyphlosion whenever someone asks about how something in Pokémon Red/Blue works. (this means you exarion Kappa)

G_heinz
Pokémon Trainer

Post by G_heinz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:06 pm

lol all emu sapphire runners use VBA-M in SRL races. it's funny because spitfire was banned from SRL for some dumb bullshit, but apparently none of those nincompoops wanted to look into the fact that there are no real alternatives for ADV gen emus, so anyone running on emu pretty much has to be using VBA or VBA-M.

i would just say use the latter. it's the best you're gonna get.

Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Post by Decon082 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:06 am

Okay guys, thanks for the clarification! I'll look into VBA-M and see how usable the Mac version is. OpieOP

luckytyphlosion
Pokémon Trainer

Post by luckytyphlosion » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:36 pm

G_heinz wrote:...it's funny because spitfire was banned from SRL for some dumb bullshit, but apparently none of those nincompoops wanted to look into the fact that there are no real alternatives for ADV gen emus...
Uhh, Spitfire was banned from SRL because he used either SpeedUps or Save States (can't remember) in a DKC2 Race.
Jack-Flys are OpieOP.

"GO ASK SANQUI" - luckytyphlosion whenever someone asks about how something in Pokémon Red/Blue works. (this means you exarion Kappa)

G_heinz
Pokémon Trainer

Post by G_heinz » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:26 pm

i'm familiar with why he was banned.

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:20 am

luckytyphlosion wrote:Uhh, Spitfire was banned from SRL because he used either SpeedUps or Save States (can't remember) in a DKC2 Race.
He used speedups because he made a human error in a fit of frustration. Pretty stupid reason to insta-ban, if you ask me.

Return to “General Pokémon”