Lucky ID (LID) manipulation in GSC is similar to Trainer ID manipulation (link to thread), with the following caveat: if an LID is stored in the game's save data, the game will reuse that LID upon New Game selection.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Save data can only be cleared by pressing Up+Select+B on the title screen; when you press New Game afterwards, a new LID will be stored in the game's save data until you specifically clear ALL save data (thru the Up+Select+B screen), even if you do not save in-game.
Thus, the generalized approach to LID manipulation is:
- Clear all save data
- Perform TID manipulation to aim for a frame with a specific LID
- Repeat steps 1+2 until you hit the frame
- Do as many resets as you like, your LID will remain as is
Right now, there is a working lottery manip in Crystal that gets the 01001 LID (a Gold one will come in the future). This works on both console (GBA/GBP) and emulator (Gambatte-speedrun). You aim to get TID 27623, like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS-pCvclxS0. All but one input in the intro is buffered; the other input must be timed, and has a 4 frame window for success. To spell out the procedure:
- Hard reset
- Hold START through the copyright text and title screen
- Switch to B to back out of the main menu, then switch back to START to re-enter the title screen
- Repeat the above step five additional times
- Wait 760 frames/12.7 seconds to press B (use the game audio cue or a timer for consistency; it's ~34.6s from hard reset on GBP/GSR r614+, or 34.99s if you use Start+B+X on GCN)
- Switch to START to re-enter the main menu
- Repeat step 3 an additional three times
- Switch to A to select New Game
To help calibrate for individual setups, here is a listing of TIDs to see how much you missed by.
Early Frames (each RNG frame here is 4 GameBoy frames or about .067 sec):
±0: 27623 (Target Frame)
(1) ***EDIT: If you save your game after hitting the TID/LID, then you only have ~24 hours before the game regenerates the LID, which will require performing the manip again. The preferred approach should be to reset the game without saving. You will need to set options before each run, but it appears the LID will remain intact until you get a run past Lance (assuming you don't otherwise save the game).
(2) I am not sure if this setup works on carts that have dead batteries (and I'm generally unsure of the implications of having a dead battery). (***EDIT: Reportedly, LID manip has worked fine for runners with carts that have dead batteries.)