Pokémon Trading Card Game Speedrunning

Cooltrainermichael
Site Admin

Pokémon Trading Card Game Speedrunning

Post by Cooltrainermichael » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Pokémon Trading Card Game has one main category: The above URL is a great resource for tips, routes, and rules.

For a list of the current leaderboards:
http://www.pokemonspeedruns.com/index.p ... Game/Times

Karmaverick
Preschooler

Re: Pokémon Trading Card Game Speedrunning

Post by Karmaverick » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:09 am

this is the best pokemon game, where are the runners T_T

getajob
Preschooler

Post by getajob » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:22 am

is it me or the wr run in this cathegory has more than one save+reload?

Karmaverick
Preschooler

Post by Karmaverick » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:01 pm

I have already brought this to attention, but from what I understand even his previous run is WR so they have not changed it.

And there aren't enough runners to contest it or solidify the rules of a run.

but yeah, not single segment = not legit IMO.

don_carnage
Preschooler

Post by don_carnage » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:29 am

TCG HYPE PogChamp PogChamp PogChamp If anyone wants notes, let me know. I have to dig them up.

abitalive
Super Nerd

Post by abitalive » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:36 am

Does anyone regularly stream runs of this?

Chauzu
Preschooler

Post by Chauzu » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:37 pm

I am currently routing Pokémon TCG 2 (well this forum is dead so I don't see the need for another thread) and I'll be running it on the original japanese copy. I presume this won't be a problem since it's the only official release? Like the only run on the leaderboard atm is a casual run of a fan translation of the game. So just felt like checking. I presume there aren't really anything decided on this matter since the game hasn't even been routed yet by the looks of it.

But I'll be digging in both TCG games the coming months, will be fun. These games need more runners. ;)

werster
Site Admin

Post by werster » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Yes of course that's ok, in fact it's 100% ideal, I don't even think the "fan translation patch" run should've been accepted to be totally honest with you.

froggy25
Bug Catcher

Post by froggy25 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Chauzu wrote:I am currently routing Pokémon TCG 2 (well this forum is dead so I don't see the need for another thread) and I'll be running it on the original japanese copy
If you have time for this, you might try to play around a variation of the Zapdos Glitch from TCG 1:
https://youtu.be/6inglFTyuSE?t=20s (sorry if this video sucks, this was done 8 years ago)

One of the variation of this glitch allows you to reset the game and play it with fast music and maybe an increased speed, by using Metronome against a glitched Lightning Energy at the Lightning club, selecting the second attack. You cannot exploit this while speedrunning the first game, since you only obtain Zapdos when you finish the game, but in TCG 2 you can get Zapdos and VM Gengar at the Game Corner, which can also trigger this glitch, albeit with different effects (like controlling both players and stuff). I didn't try to use Metronome on TCG 2 so idk which effects it has in this game.

Also, maybe this old TAS could help you in your routing: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7256179

froggy25
Bug Catcher

Post by froggy25 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:56 am

Trying to do a useful save corruption / ACE with Lv. 68 Zapdos.
I found the following one to be pretty amusing, even if that's not exactly useful Keepo

Yup, you heard that right. The game tells you it's not possible to tie in this situation, even though you've just tied Kappa
This variation jumps to w2:D01B, which "unfortunately" is nops and rst 38, but we might be on something.

Edit: https://youtu.be/9B8Z_YoMkcQ
I'll be working full time on this in the next few days, as if this glitch truly allows an ACE, it may allow us to completely skip the second island, once we get Lv. 68 Zapdos at the Game Corner. I won't promise anything but I have hopes for this Kappa

I'm not the best at GB assembly, so if anyone wants to help, you are more than welcome.

Return to “Pokémon Trading Card Game”