Simple Questions & Answers

stringflow
Preschooler

Re: Simple Questions & Answers

Post by stringflow » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Hey guys,
I live in europe and wanted to buy a Pokemon Blue USA cartridge. Now I've found some on ebay, but some of them say "DMG-APEE-USA-1" on the left side and other say "DMG-APEE-USA". I googled some differences and all I could find is "That one with the 1 at the end was on a late release". Soy my question is: Can somebody confirm that Brock skip works on cartridges with an 1 at the end?
Thanks guys!

CaptainX24
Preschooler

Post by CaptainX24 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:09 am

Are the 3DS ports of the games allowed?

viamage
Preschooler

Post by viamage » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:24 pm

So I've done some looking into speed run s and am thinking about doing one myself, but I would like to try a different route than most Has a dugtrio speed run ever been looked into? Dugtrio has 35 more spd then Nido and only 12 less atk. He also comes at at least lv 29 which is higher than the Nidoking I saw at that point. Comparison wise Nidoking does have a wider move pool and can run a boltbeam while Dugtrio is limited to ground/rock/normal. However, Dugtrio also has access to slash which, with his speed, should crit at least 90% to provide great neutral coverage. Another drawback that I see right now is he's limited to dig/scratch until you clear rock tunnel and pick up rockslide. A potential finishing set would be eq/rockslide/slash/ dig or fissure.
Any thoughts or shut down comments?

Exarion
Cooltrainer

Post by Exarion » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:12 am

I looked into Dugtrio in 2014. Slash is a great move for the early game; sadly, Dugtrio isn't available until Vermilion. You might save time in a few fights, but you'd lose a lot of time after Surge because Nidoking OHKOs almost everything and can hold red bar as a result. Dugtrio would have slower fights and would need to heal more often.

It would be a fun run, though, if you could tolerate trying to catch Dugtrio.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/exarionu
Pokemon Red speedrunning guide: http://pastebin.com/CkVA5yvJ

viamage
Preschooler

Post by viamage » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Alright, thanks a ton

Deadpool7
Preschooler

Post by Deadpool7 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:26 pm

Hey I wanted to know if you have to name yourself a 1 character name Does this matter or not. I want to you my own name and tranfser all the Pokemon's to Pokemon Sun and Moon. Thanks.

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Each character that loads up is a frame, so yes, naming yourself does matter in a speedrun.

SolotheHawk
Preschooler

Post by SolotheHawk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:18 am

In the "Revisiting oobLG" thread, there's a lot of references to LWA, but I can't seem to find any information about this glitch. Can someone point me somewhere or describe it to me?

eddaket
Schoolkid

Post by eddaket » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Solo, here's the route: http://pastebin.com/erSjrkLW

And here's my run of it. Skip to anywhere after 25min to see the dumb part: http://www.speedrun.com/run/0y6x5v1y

SolotheHawk
Preschooler

Post by SolotheHawk » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Wow, yeah, that is pretty crazy. I can see why it would be banned. Although I'm glad there's a No Restrictions category now since I enjoy running stupid routes like that.

Kiba
Preschooler

Post by Kiba » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:21 pm

Hey, currently trying out the new route for catch 'em all and it works great until power plant. When I try to teach fly to Mew, there is X-Special in my money slot instead of HM02. Tried it multiple times, but I can't find my mistake. Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

Gymfreak739
Schoolkid

Post by Gymfreak739 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:08 pm

Are you using the virtual console release of the game?

I'm pretty sure something is screwed up with the money slot on the VC version of the game

Kiba
Preschooler

Post by Kiba » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:43 pm

I tried both the 3DS version and the emulator version. Is there somewhere a list of differences between the 3DS and the original version? Or, more specifically, what should I play different?
Thanks in advance
EDIT: Nevermind, seems like the problem is that I used VBA out of laziness (already had it before). So if I didn't screw up horribly the VBA and the 3DS version both don't work with that route, gambatte works fine though.

SolotheHawk
Preschooler

Post by SolotheHawk » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:21 am

Kiba wrote:Nevermind, seems like the problem is that I used VBA out of laziness
I don't know if you're aware or not, but runs on VBA aren't accepted to the leaderboards anyway. It's probably not a big deal if you're just doing runs casually though.

"All variants of VBA are banned from all GB/GBC games. Approved emulators are Gambatte and BGB."

eddaket
Schoolkid

Post by eddaket » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:14 am

Also, I don't remember where it is but the community has also come to a ruling where 3DS VC is banned for categories that use money manip. Here's a snippet from the discord when that decision was made:

Dabomstew: the end result above that wall of text was that yes, money manip really is fucked, and we found a new pattern for how it works, basically it treats A as -6, B as -5, ..., F as -1. so if you have 1F000 you actually have 9k when you buy something/spend money (10000 -1000). Makes money manip completely different when invalid numbers are involved, so 3DSVC should probably be banned for 151 categories. Still don't think it needs banning for anything else.

And the topic for the #gen1-glitched channel is - PSA: Don't use 3DSVC for any kind of Gen1 glitched category with money manip.

It's not part of the official ruleset on speedrun.com, but I imagine it will be there in the near future.

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:33 pm

It is part of the official ruleset now.

Levi87
Preschooler

Post by Levi87 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:53 am

Hi guys,
I'm just wondering if someone can tell me how l get red helper running for pokemon red? l cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it running, l open the jar file and nothing happens :(

Thanks in advance for helping a noob,

Levi.

exit1337
Preschooler

Post by exit1337 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:24 pm

I downloaded it recently and had to further download Java SE Runtime Environment. Choose the correct one depending on your PC/other device and install it. Then opening Red Helper with Java should work.

ssbm_ape
Preschooler

Post by ssbm_ape » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:18 pm

In the Ditto Strat for Any% NSC I am able to get all of it except for catching the Ditto. It always tells me that the ball misses. When operating that menu does it all have to be frame-perfect there as well?

krazyd4n
Bug Catcher

Post by krazyd4n » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:44 pm

Yes, hold down and a when bulbasaur's cry is playing, then switch to up+a with balls in slot 1, or a+b with balls in slot 2

disgustingweeb
Preschooler

Post by disgustingweeb » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Hey all - I'm new to pokemon speedruns and this is my first post! Just wondering - how can I get a consistent Trainer ID of 76 D6 on Blue Any % NSC? I keep on trying in BGB and getting values like 58 or 86 etc.

Am I using the wrong version of the ROM? The version I have keeps on showing the blue border around the main game that you see in Pokemon Stadium's player.

Return to “Generation 1”