General Knowledge and Interesting Finds (Spreadsheet Link now posted!)

Ryziken
Preschooler

General Knowledge and Interesting Finds (Spreadsheet Link now posted!)

Post by Ryziken » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:50 pm

So I've been doing some routing of my own in XD, mainly trying out some Move Tutor strats but also learning a bit about the various fights and mechanics.

The mechanic I looked into the most was how much/how fast Ursaring's happiness climbs throughout the game, since this affects the base power of Return, which is its primary move. Here are my rough findings on that:

Happiness Values/Ranges ("message" refers to Happiness Checker):
- After purify (Lv 12): 100-149 message (turns out to be about 140, assuming you used 7 Vivid Scents* during shadow phase)
- At Lv16: 150-199 message; so it has just crossed the 150 threshold, proving the previous point ^
- At Lv20 (end of Cipher lab): 150-199 message
- After Snattle (Lv 28): 150-199 message, but hits the 200 threshold after 1 protein
- Pretty much exactly 200 happiness (80 BP Return) when you evolve at 30
- After Zook 2 (Lv 38 w/ Exp Share strats): around 216-220 happiness

Just looking at the rest of the route, it seems Ursaring's happiness doesn't max out until the Admin gauntlet at the end of Citadark, so Ursaring almost never gets to use a full power Return, which I found interesting. I guess there really isn't as many steps you walk in this game, compared to the handhelds, so it shouldn't be too surprising. And overall, Return is still good enough in enough fights where it doesn't need to be maxed out, and even if we wanted to increase Ursaring's happiness further, there doesn't seem to be a viable way to do that in a speedrun.

I also found an interesting bug with Earthquake. In a few late-game fights (Karbon and Petro in particular, maybe others), the game seems to calculate Earthquake's damage as if it were a Singles battle instead of Doubles, doing the full 100% damage to each poke on the field (even if it hits all 4) instead of the usual 25% reduction. I may look into this further to see if other fights can exploit this bug to save some time... <just kidding, I'm just bad with calcs...

Lastly, I also created an Excel spreadsheet detailing the experience and EVs gained throughout the run, and as soon as I work out how to let people configure things so they make sense, I'll post a link. :)

Edit: Here is the spreadsheet I made. It's editable so people can experiment with different Exp. Share strats, and do damage calcs while at least knowing the effort values obtained up to various points in the game. v
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
I just ask that you don't edit anything other than the Exp Share column and the EV Counter formulas (there's a couple other places you can edit depending on your strats, you'll know them when you see them). I made a copy of the original just in case the editing gets out of hand, but hopefully it won't come to that.

* Speaking of the Scent items, I have also confirmed that using Scents on non-Shadow Pokemon does absolutely nothing. Despite having the same rumbling controller effect followed by a cry and a text saying "[pokemon] is delighted," the happiness value DOES NOT INCREASE AT ALL. So the only way to increase friendship using Scents is during the shadow phase, which is not explicitly stated anywhere that I've found, including Bulbapedia and Serebii. (Although to be fair, I haven't tested Scent items on traded Pokemon, or even just on Espeon. Basically anything that wasn't formerly a Shadow poke.)
Last edited by Ryziken on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Exarion
Cooltrainer

Re: General Knowledge and Interesting Finds

Post by Exarion » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:58 am

Earthquake should be doing 100% damage every time, unless XD changed that mechanic from other Gen 3 games.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/exarionu
Pokemon Red speedrunning guide: http://pastebin.com/CkVA5yvJ

Ryziken
Preschooler

Post by Ryziken » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:29 am

I double checked my Snattle's Scizor calc that I based off Zewing's WR stream the other day, and I guess it was doing the full 100% there, must've made an error somewhere.

So that 25% reduction for spread damage doesn't apply at all in gen 3?

Exarion
Cooltrainer

Post by Exarion » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:44 pm

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/exarionu
Pokemon Red speedrunning guide: http://pastebin.com/CkVA5yvJ

Ryziken
Preschooler

Re: General Knowledge and Interesting Finds (Spreadsheet Link now posted!)

Post by Ryziken » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:39 am

Okay, I guess that was for moves that hit allies as well as opponents. Interesting.

Anyway, I've posted my spreadsheet. Not quite Mooba quality, but hopefully it'll do for anybody interested in routing this game for themselves ;)

Return to “Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness”