3DS Timing Issues

Magicbarrier
Preschooler

3DS Timing Issues

Post by Magicbarrier » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:58 pm

I wasn't sure if this should go in the SQ/SA thread, but I figured I'd ask here anyway.

In the (3)DS FAQs, it says that the in-game timer is inaccurate if you save and quit. From what I've read, the Gen 1-3 games use an inaccurate timing method, but the (3)DS games use the clock down to the seconds instead. I'm planning to do a casual segmented run of Y later on, so I want to know if the in-game timer is actually inaccurate or not if you save/quit before I have to track it in real time.

Thanks.

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Re: 3DS Timing Issues

Post by Dabomstew » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:09 am

Okay, this is a little tricky to respond to as the FAQs you reference weren't really written with segmented runs in mind, but I'll try.

Basically, all Pokemon games (at least gens 1-5, and probably 6 too, though it doesn't really matter given that that is console-only) use a simple frame counter to keep track of in-game time. The problem for the DS games (gen4/5) is that in the DS games loading times take different numbers of frames depending on whether you're on console or emulator, but the ingame timer just keeps ticking regardless. This means that on emulator, you can get objectively faster times than console, both real time and game time. So there is really no way to compare emu/console runs.

On the other hand, in the GB/GBA games, it is strongly believed that the ingame time is not affected by variable loading times (either because it stops counting during loading sequences or the loading sequences take the same time regardless of console/emu) and so ingame time can be fairly used to compare console & emulator runs.

For segmented runs, the ingame timer is fine to track what time you got against other such runs (and your best option, anyway). But segmented runs are generally classed as completely different than single-segment runs, seeing as you can pick your own luck - a heavily optimized segmented run usually ends up close to a TAS in its perfection, or at least much closer than real time runs can ever hope to achieve.

Magicbarrier
Preschooler

Re: 3DS Timing Issues

Post by Magicbarrier » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks for the info. Sorry it took so long to reply.

Yeah, I know the difference between SS and segmented - in fact, I submitted the old 4:15 Gold speedrun to SDA back when I was known as Brown_Bomber. I'm not into Making SS runs, but I just wanted to know if my time would be really off if I went by in-game time for some reason.

Return to “Pokémon X/Y”