Black 2 Pokemon World Tournament Speedrun RTA

Ghoul02
Preschooler

Black 2 Pokemon World Tournament Speedrun RTA

Post by Ghoul02 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:57 am

I'm looking at doing a run in Black 2 where I start from a new file and beat the Champion's tournament as quickly as possible. It wouldn't be a totally serious run, but I think it'd be fun and has some cool routing possibilities.

I do have a basic outline for the route concept: essentially, do the Emboar/Excadrill route through the game normally, catch Latios, EV train Latios as quickly as possible and a good moveset, then go ham with the three on the PWT.

There are a lot of questions that I have beyond that, and a lot of them have to do with RNG manipulation. I know RNG Manip for Tepig and Latios should be a snap as soon as I wrap my head around the mechanics, but is it possible to RNG Manip a Drillbur?

And also, given that I have to basically EV grind Latios, Pokerus would save a ton of time. Assuming I don't find better spots to grind them, it was about 10 minutes saved on Speed EVs (Basculin on Route 19) and about 30 on SP Atk EVs (Litwicks in Celestial Tower)

The other big question is what moves to spec out Latios with. Psychic is easy to get and pretty much a guarantee. Raising to maximum happiness would get Draco Meteor, which, even with a Dragon Claw instead of a Life orb early, would do an insane amount of damage, with the cost of having to switch out Latios after using it. Dragon Pulse requires leveling to level 80 from level 68, which also seems very costly. The other three moves that make a lot of sense are Surf, Thunderbolt, and Calm Mind.
I'm also not sure if plus speed or plus Sp Atk nature would be better.

The approximate time of the run would be 3:45 for the main game (pretty generous, but maybe there's some extra stuff and I play bad), about an hour for speccing out my team after that, and 2 hours for the tournament battles (A quick test run showed that a round probably takes between 5-7 minutes)

Anyways, thoughts, and help would be greatly appreciated.

GarfieldTheLightning
Youngster

Re: Black 2 Pokemon World Tournament Speedrun RTA

Post by GarfieldTheLightning » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:57 pm

I've never cleared the Champion Tournament (because my in-game team was not up to scratch and I didn't want to breed a better one), so I'm not sure how much I can help with this. But let me point out a few things.

Firstly, I note that you're planning to do the run on Black 2. As well as having to battle some extra trainers, the battle with Charles is a rotation battle in Black 2 as opposed to White 2's triple battle. I'm not even sure if it's possible to formulate a consistent strategy to beat him in Black 2 because of how random rotation battles are. I assume that you wanted to run on Black 2 to get Latios. Just want to make sure you're aware of the problems that can arise from this choice.

You also say you want to "do the Emboar/Excadrill route through the game normally". The Emboar route and the Excadrill route are two entirely different routes. Even if, say, you did the Emboar route and caught an Excadrill later, you couldn't teach Excadrill Iron Head because you'd already have spent your 10 Red Shards on ThunderPunch for Emboar.

Now for your questions. I think RNG manipulating a Drilbur/Excadrill will be close to impossible. You can only find them in dust clouds, so you can't even use Sweet Scent to find one on the right frame. Maybe there's a way, but it's not documented in the Smogon guide.

If you want to level up for Dragon Pulse, why not do it while EV training? You could still 1-hit the Lv. 45-60 Basculin on Route 1, but you'd gain more experience, for example.

Good luck!
I speedrun Pokémon Pearl, White 2 and X!

Vulajin
Schoolkid

Post by Vulajin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:08 am

I want to guess that starting up with the same seed will get you a consistent dust cloud spawn, but I don't think anyone has tested it. Of course, testing will be confounded by the fact that there will be no obvious way to tell whether you hit the right timer0 or not (unless the hypothesis is correct, in which case you should see the same several dust cloud spawns).

Garf, when he says "do the normal Emboar/Excadrill" route I assume he ust means the Exca route where you start with the Tepig line and switch to Exca later. Obviously you don't get Emboar in that route but the intention seems clear. :p

GarfieldTheLightning
Youngster

Post by GarfieldTheLightning » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:32 am

Vulajin wrote:Garf, when he says "do the normal Emboar/Excadrill" route I assume he ust means the Exca route where you start with the Tepig line and switch to Exca later. Obviously you don't get Emboar in that route but the intention seems clear. :p
But you need three Pokémon for the PWT. If the third Pokémon is not Emboar, what is it?
I speedrun Pokémon Pearl, White 2 and X!

Ghoul02
Preschooler

Post by Ghoul02 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:20 am

3rd Poke is going to be an Emboar; leveling after the run shouldn't take too long (looks like 33-ish to level 50 or 62 if I want Flare Blitz), and I can't imagine anything being massively better than an RNG Manipulated Emboar. Maybe there's a poke that is, but I can't think of it; Fire/Fighting pairs really well with Steel/Ground and Dragon/Psychic, especially with the expectation that Latios does the majority of the fighting; switching into Emboar and Excadrill is very often going to be safe if something will 1 hit Latios (Most Ice, Dark, Dragon and Ghost types were 1 hitting my Latios in my first test, but that was a completely terrible Latios)

Black 2 is a semi requirement because it's both the game I have, and Latios is going to be better than Latias for the purpose of the run. That kinda sucks that it has a few issues, but oh well; I'll deal with the time loss.

Nothing on Pokerus in what I've looked at online, but maybe that's in the RNG manipulation tools somewhere. I can get a solid body of work without it, so I guess I'll forgo it for now.

Thanks for all the help.

Ghoul02
Preschooler

Post by Ghoul02 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:30 am

Not sure if I should double post here or not, but I'll throw my pastebin here with a basic set of info as the route progresses. I'm not too far off being able to actually try this thing out; I need to play with Mix and Rentals more, finish Champion and World Leaders, and learn RNG Manipulation.

I think I can do Mix and Rentals as well. If you need justification for why Type Master is not included, the Driftveil side has the Driftveil tournament (a light version of the gym leaders), Mix (which unlocks Mix Master), and Rental (unlocks Rental Master). There is no Type tournament, and Type Master is really, really stupid.

Mix is pretty funny because I evolve Ducklett into Swanna using the Undella town Hugh and the Exp Share. The CPU will take it instead of Excadrill and Emboar on occasion, even though it's really terrible.

Anyway, without further ado: http://pastebin.com/QM58Wc7C

Return to “Pokémon Black 2/White 2”