"It hurt itself in confusion" is sometimes Normal Type?

Dunsparsley
Bug Catcher

"It hurt itself in confusion" is sometimes Normal Type?

Post by Dunsparsley » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:54 am

I'm pretty sure this has no real impact on a speedrun, but I thought I'd bring it up anyways. When I was playing Soul Silver a wild Rattata's Chilan Berry activated off of hurting itself in confusion, despite the fact that confusion is believed to be a 40 power typeless attack. If you don't know, the Chilan Berry's description in HGSS reads "If held by a Pokémon, it weakens a foe’s Normal-type attack".

What's also strange is the fact that the game recognizes the hit as the move Tackle for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp-1c7EJn3o
Thankfully I was streaming while it happened, here's a link to the YouTube video (it's about 25 seconds long).

We know that confusion is normally effective on Steel, Rock, and Ghost types, so there should be no way that this damage is dealt with the Normal typing, but somehow the berry still activated. Maybe no one cares and it's just an oversight, but I was just wondering if this was a mistake in the status effect or the berry's properties.

If this is already known and there's already stuff out about it, feel free to call me out as an idiot who didn't do his research.

Darkalber
Preschooler

Re: "It hurt itself in confusion" is sometimes Normal Type?

Post by Darkalber » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:00 am

yes

Dunsparsley
Bug Catcher

Post by Dunsparsley » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:32 am

I managed to recreate it, need to test a few more outcomes. So far it has only worked with the chilan berry, but I have a theory that would make the other berries work. It works in gen 4, but not gen 6 (will test gen 5 when I get the chance).

Dunsparsley
Bug Catcher

Post by Dunsparsley » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:50 am

Here's the recreation and a later attempt at using a different berry: https://www.twitch.tv/dunsparsley/v/101555049

No one probably cares, but I thought I'd document it here anyways.

Return to “Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver”