Spinners in Sinnoh

GarfieldTheLightning
Youngster

Spinners in Sinnoh

Post by GarfieldTheLightning » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:47 am

With all the cool stuff being discovered in gen 3 regarding spinners, I thought I'd have a little look to see what I could find in Sinnoh.

Assuming you're not running towards them or anything, it looks like spinners have some chance of turning every 32 frames. I don't know if there's an upper limit here - one time I counted 480 frames between turns! Opening the bag doesn't seem to reset spinners like in gen 3. Running disrupts the rhythm somehow, but I can't work out exactly what it does.

In the end I didn't find much of use. One thing that could be useful in places involves manipulating spinners you have to pass in several directions - if you run from a tile directly in front of a spinner, you may be able to turn them towards where you ran from (this depends on the spinner in question), allowing you to safely walk past them in the other direction. I feel like this must have been discovered already, but I don't remember seeing anyone use it in gen 4, so I may as well post a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c88gicgkrwtuk ... r.avi?dl=0

If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to share!
I speedrun Pokémon Pearl, White 2 and X!

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Re: Spinners in Sinnoh

Post by RXFADEZ » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:37 pm

I'm not fully aware of Gen4, but in Gen3 spinners are reset whenever you leave the overworld. The bag may not classify as leaving the overworld in Generation 4 so I'd suggest finding a spinner next to grass and find an encounter. See if this changes how the spinner behaves. This may be useless as I'm not sure of the Gen4 programming but it's worth a try. I might do some of my own investigation into this.

MKDasher
Schoolkid

Post by MKDasher » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:30 am

Spinners can't be manipulatee in gen 4. This includes DPPT and HGSS as overworld RNG works exactly the same for all gen 4 games.

I have never checked RNG behavior in spinners (and NPC movemeny in general) with too many details, so I can't tell about accurate facts such as whats the minimun / maximun time a spinner can spend in a position without turning. However from emulator testing (which I put a lot of hours, since I did lots of RNG manipulation movements for 0 encounters in HGSS and a TAS in pearl) I can tell opening menu / bag doesn't change spinner's movement at all.

For example, implying you know that a spinner is going to face up after 40 frames, if after 20 frames you decide to open your bag, then after some seconds you close it, then the spinner will face up 20 frames after you close your bag. Its as if the spinner had a timer so it knows when to spin, but that timer freezes anytime you open the bag or something.

As for the running trick, yeah it's useful, I haven't seen lot of people using that either but I have used it myself in the few speedrunning attempts I have done. However, eventhough it makes you go through the spinner faster and most likely lowers the chances of hitting it (reason why it is useful), it doesnt guarantee that you are not going to hit the spinner, as it can quickspin just after you force him spin to another direction.

GarfieldTheLightning
Youngster

Post by GarfieldTheLightning » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Dang, a shame that the running trick isn't guaranteed. Still worth doing for the trainers it does affect (probably not when you have the option to use the bike, though - your reaction time should be fast enough to get past the spinner within the 32-frame window in 3rd gear). So in Pearl, that leaves only 3 trainers it'd help with if memory serves - the Galactic Grunt in the Valley Windworks (second pass), the Black Belt before Maylene (third pass) and the first Galactic Grunt in the Warehouse in Veilstone (second pass).
I speedrun Pokémon Pearl, White 2 and X!

Return to “Pokémon Diamond/Pearl”