[any% and FRR2%] Right amount of HP after level 9 Weelde

Sfayne
Preschooler

[any% and FRR2%] Right amount of HP after level 9 Weelde

Post by Sfayne » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi there,

as you know, you often end the Weedle fight with with a poisoned Squirtle. This lets you manipulate your HP, healing the poison when your health pleases you. Torrent helps a lots after this fight, saving a turn against both Geodudes and the Sandshrew, but you can get hit, or lose Torrent you you gain too many HPs with level ups. Runners were generally putting there health to Total Health - 20 or something close. However, I wanted something more accurate than that, so I did a spreadsheet telling me what the best amount of health is after the Weedle guy if you're poisonned depending on your HP and Defense IV.

I did it for myself in the first place, but I want to share it just in case someone would like to use it. However, be aware than you can approach these fights in many ways, and my spreadsheet does NOT show the only right way to do it, just the way I'm personally gonna use in my runs.

To use it, you need:
- To know your HP and Defense IV (RNG manip HYPE)
- To be level 8 after Weedle (= you killed a wild encounter on route 1)
- To have a +Special Nature or at least 23 Special IV otherwise (or the Sandshrew damage range will be worse but you could technically still go for it)

Here it is:

Of course, even in the green or purple cases, you have a chance to still have Torrent for the second Geodude and one shot him if Sandshrew used Scratch.
The numbers in brackets after the HP IV are the Max HP you're going to have at level 8, 9 and 10.

You should be aware that:
- The Sandshrew fight is risky: Sandrshrew 2hits you with Scratch as you're not guaranteed to 2hit him (only 75% chance even with best possible Special). The Spreadsheet assumes you tank 1 Scratch at max, as Sandshrew can also use Defense Curl or Sand-Attack, but if he uses 2 Scratches, you're just dead.
- In every case, Sandshrew has a 1/16 chance to still kill you with a single Scratch, not considering crits. The highest Scratch damage roll does 1 extra damage over the rest but only has a 1/16 chance to happen. I considered it was low enough to not take that in consideration.
- When 2 different HP amounts are given for the same IVs, you have the choice between going to the highest one, making it a bit safer since a high-roll Scratch wouldn't kill you, or go for the lowest one, which is slightly closer to Torrent and has a little chance to be relevant later for route 3.
- Having 28+ Special Attack IV with a +Special Attack nature gives you a 56% chance to one hit Onix if you're in Torrent, which might make you want to go for it instead of healing. For example, let's imagine you have a Rash Squirtle with 28+ Special Attack and 12/31 HP because Sandshrew never hit a Scratch on you. You should use Bubble so if Onix uses Tackle/Bind and puts you into Torrent (which he is really likely to do), you have a 56% chance to kill it without having to use a potion at all, saving some time and ending with a good amount of HP.

If your health is already lower than the amount my spreadsheet shows, you have the choice between going back to grab the potion in the forest that isn't that far behind, going for Yolostrats hoping that Sandshrew doesn't use Scratch, or using your last Potion and just Bubble everything in Brock's gym, hoping it goes well.

Sfayne
Preschooler

Re: [any% and FRR2%] Right amount of HP after level 9 Weelde

Post by Sfayne » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:12 pm

I've done a second one that is a bit more detailed, showing when you have the option to go for the 56% chance to one-hit Onix without risking a death if you have 28+ Special and a + Special Attack nature.

Same problem than with Sandshrew: Onix has a 1/16 chance to have a high-roll and do one more damage than expected with Rock Tomb, killing you if that happens.

Might be really hard to understand the first time but I think it'll be easy if you get used to it

Also note for the Onix fight that, if you don't kill Onix in one hit but speedfalls him with Bubble without getting speedfalled by Rock Tomb, you'll be faster than him as long as you have at least 24 Speed IV (and on a speedtie between 14 and 23 speed IV)

jtmagicman
Schoolkid

Re: [any% and FRR2%] Right amount of HP after level 9 Weelde

Post by jtmagicman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks for this

Return to “Pokémon Fire Red/Leaf Green”