Emerald Tips and Tricks

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Emerald Tips and Tricks

Post by Amoeba » Thu May 07, 2015 4:37 pm

Better title pending.

Had this idea for a while now, but I'm not sure how useful/successful it might be. Basically we post those little tricks and optimizations that don't really deserve their own thread/post, but still save time, or have the potential to save time, in a speedrun. Even if it saves a frame, post it, every frame helps. Also post anything that might save time, even if you haven't found an application for it yet. If there end up being a lot of contributions I'll try and keep this post updated with everything.

I'll get it started with a couple that are fairly common knowledge:

Menu Scroll Buffering: For any menu (shopping, bag etc) that you have to scroll up or down a lot of items to get to the one you want, you can buffer the direction you want to scroll just before, so that it immediately starts scrolling when you get into the menu. For instance, in the first Petalburg mart trip, you'll likely buy potions (2nd item) and then repels (8th or 9th item). If you hold down as you select "yes" on the "so you want X potions" textbox, and keep holding it to clear the textbox afterwards, you'll start scrolling (almost) straight afterwards. This is only faster if you're not amazingly fast at mashing up/down in menus, and also only faster when the items are a decent distance apart.

Turn Frame Bike Cancel: (this one is my personal favourite) Only saves a couple of frames, and only in specific situations. You can cancel your standing turn frames (these are the 3 or 4 frames of animation when you turn in a different direction that you were facing when stood still) by getting on your bike. (I'm almost certain) This is faster than getting on your bike from standing, then moving.

Torrent from Rival 2: This will be extremely familiar to anyone that used to run the older route. Basically, with decent to good sp.atk, torrent after rival 2 can help save some Super Effective text boxes, along with removing the chance of Mud Shot missing and saving Mud Shot PP (only relevant if you're skipping the centre in Mauville). The Triathelete's Magnemite, Youngster Deandre's Zigzagoon and Elektrike and Wally's Ralts can all be Water Gun-ed instead of Mud Shot. Ralts is a guaranteed kill from 3IV neutral, Zigzagoon from 25IV neutral, or 10 +natured, and the Elektrike from 30 neutral or 15 +natured. The Magnemite requires even higher to guarantee, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head.

Favouring Running over Biking: Because of the Mach Bike's slow acceleration, there are a handful of scenarios where it is better to run than get on your bike. Any distance that is 4 tiles or less will be faster to run than bike (I think 4 tiles exactly is effectively the same, if you cancel a turn frame to get on the bike). The main one is after you take the one intentional fall in Sky Pillar 2, you either have 3 or 4 tiles to run to get to the doorway, depending on which cracked tile you fell through.

Teach Rock Tomb in the Escape Rope menu in Granite Cave. Edit: Lolno never mind this doesn't change anything

Route 116 Repel Strats: Because all Abra's on Route 116 are Lvl. 7, if you happen to catch a Lvl.7 Tailow or Poochyena it is worth it to use a repel, and switch that poke to the front. This removes all of the Lvl.6 encounters on the route, and improves your chances of encountering an Abra from 10% to 25%.
Last edited by Amoeba on Fri May 08, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~

GarfieldTheLightning
Youngster

Re: Emerald Tips and Tricks

Post by GarfieldTheLightning » Fri May 08, 2015 12:00 pm

Amoeba wrote:Teach Rock Tomb in the Escape Rope menu in Granite Cave. This leaves the menu on the TM bag, and the next time you use your bag will be when you sell the Steel Wing TM in Slateport (provided you don't heal in the museum fights). Saves a couple of inputs over teaching it in Route 116.
Using the Escape Rope has to be the last thing you do in that menu, so wouldn't you be in the Items pocket when you next opened your Bag?
I speedrun Pokémon Pearl, White 2 and X!

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Re: Emerald Tips and Tricks

Post by Amoeba » Fri May 08, 2015 5:27 pm

Yes.

I am not clever.
~

Return to “Pokémon Emerald”