Movement frame data

G_heinz
Pokémon Trainer

Movement frame data

Post by G_heinz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:25 am

also applicable to emerald of course.

i can't remember for the life of me where i was reading it, but a long while back i remember finding actual frame data for the game's movement--walk speed, run speed, mach bike speed at all levels of acceleration, turn-frame count, etc. could have been buried in the wiki somewhere but idr.

then recently i heard it said by mountebank something that i had never heard before--that a manipulated spinner (i.e. one that has been forced to look in a certain direction due to detecting the player-character running in a nearby tile) will look in that direction for a guaranteed 32 frames (provided no further running is detected). i had never heard that information before, so it leads me to believe it's somewhere out there lol.

reason i ask is because there are two methods of manipulation i've seen on a particular spinner that has what spitfire, marcus, and i would call "janice-like" behavior--that is, they only look in two completely opposite directions (there are other spinners that look in two directions that form a 90-degree angle, but this case is 180-degree), and long story short, i'm trying to figure out which one is faster, i.e. gives him the least number of frames to spin on me (fuck you tommy).

could probably figure that out without raw frame data, but i'm also just interested in this information in general. does anyone know where i could find it?

thx

Exarion
Cooltrainer

Re: Movement frame data

Post by Exarion » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:07 pm

I've timed Mach Bike movement to be 4 frames/tile at full speed, but I'm not sure about the rest.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/exarionu
Pokemon Red speedrunning guide: http://pastebin.com/CkVA5yvJ

G_heinz
Pokémon Trainer

Post by G_heinz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:55 pm

that is true, bc i remember reading the breakdown to be something like: 32 > 16 > 8 > 4, which is the reason as people have pointed out that we get off the bike to complete the strength puzzles in seafloor cavern, since running i think is equivalent to the second level of acceleration. i'm mostly interested in the turn frames, but

and i pretty easily figured out which method is faster for manipulating tommy, but it would still be interesting to know the specifics so i have more useless information to spout off during a run Kappa

ps: gratz ex, so pissed i fell asleep during 3 1 8 DansGame

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:05 pm

I can't speak for movement data, but I've researched a lot on spinner manipulation. Basically, the two types of spinner manipulation you've referred to I've called "perfect" and "imperfect" manipulation. Perfect manip occurs when you can manipulate the spinner 1 tile away from their line of sight (for instance, the bug catchers in Petalburg Woods, for R/S and E), and I call it perfect because, with correct movement, you can never be caught by the spinner. Imperfect manipulation occurs when you have to walk 2 tiles between manipulating the spinner with running and being in their line of sight (Karen in E, Janice in R/S). It is imperfect because even with correct movement you can still be caught if the spinner "quickspins".

In terms of the Janice manipulation, its possible (though I can't figure it) that there are two types of imperfect manipulation, however the one I do for Karen (which translates equally for Janice) is to run to the tile immediately left of her (which forces her to look down) then walk up and left. However, if there is another manip that works so that you walk exactly 2 tiles before being in her line of sight, I imagine it will work equally as well.

On a side note, spinner manip holding them for 32 frames would suggest that walking is 16 frames per tile, as then they can "quickspin" you on the 32nd frame, and thus running would be 8 frames. I had heard that mach biking at full speed is 4 frames per second, but haven't checked it myself, though if you were really bothered this could all be verified using vba and frame advance quite easily.
~

Return to “Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire”