Tips, and recommendations for learning Crystal?

Smileyboy63
Preschooler

Tips, and recommendations for learning Crystal?

Post by Smileyboy63 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:03 am

Hi,
I am fairly new to pokemon speedruns, I recently learned Pokemon Red, and was hoping to start grinding Pokemon Crystal after I reach my goal in Red. If anyone has some tips for learning the route that you think would be helpful, that would be great. Thanks!

playe
Preschooler

Re: Tips, and recommendations for learning Crystal?

Post by playe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:32 am

One thing I recommend doing is, even though it "in-validates" your time, don't be afraid to S+Q. Trust me it'll get rid of a lot of headaches in your early runs so you can get more familiar with the game.

Also be prepared for a ton of resets once you get somewhat decent and stop using safety saves, runnable Totodiles can sometimes be a pain to get (I've gone like 2 hours without getting a single runnable Totodile after Rival 1) and even after that there's tons of stuff early game that can stop your run dead. Just don't get discouraged and see it all the way through.

Oh and before I forget, make a save-state before Mt.Moon to practice navigating it in the dark. Trust me it'll be worth it when you get up to that point in your runs.

Smileyboy63
Preschooler

Post by Smileyboy63 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:12 pm

Thank you very much! What sort of stats should I be resetting for? Are the stats at 6 important to be resetting for?

executiveproton
Preschooler

Post by executiveproton » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Smileyboy63 wrote:Thank you very much! What sort of stats should I be resetting for? Are the stats at 6 important to be resetting for?
At level 5, the stats you want are:
12 Attack (DV 5-14)
~11 Defense (DV 0-5)
10 Sp. Atk
11 Sp. Def (DV 12-15)
10 Speed (DV 7-15)

Keep in mind that Sp. Atk and Sp. Def share the same DV in Gen 2, for backward compatibility with Gen 1.

Ideally, you'll want 12 Sp. Atk and Sp. Def at level 6.

There are a lot of things you need to look out for stats-wise in the run, especially early-game.

You can find some notes you can use here, but a lot of different scenarios aren't accounted for in these notes, so I'd recommend playing around with some save states and testing different outcomes (what move kills what with x stats). If you want to, rewrite these notes yourself.

Good luck! PogChamp

Shenanagans
Site Admin

Post by Shenanagans » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:47 pm

if you play on emulator you can simply make a save state after you see the stats are good so that you can practice runs more often. This invalidates the run, but getting a few full runs in before doing actual attempts is a really good idea. You can also save state throughout the run in order to practice different sections (like ice path movement or Mt Silver cave).

Glad to see more people picking up this great game, and I wish you the best of luck :p.
Feel free to follow me for all your Pokemon Resetting Needs!

Image Image Image

crafted
Preschooler

Post by crafted » Sun May 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Take 9 speed if your just starting out.

FractNL
Bug Catcher

Post by FractNL » Sun May 25, 2014 2:52 pm

One question,

Which fights does 9 speed has a serious effect on?

crafted
Preschooler

Post by crafted » Sun May 25, 2014 3:12 pm

If you have a DV of 0 or 1 then you will be out-sped by azalea rival's bayleef which can cause problems. This has more information: http://pastebin.com/tPn0e5Cv

Cooltrainermichael
Site Admin

Post by Cooltrainermichael » Sun May 25, 2014 4:53 pm

That pastebin might be quite useful to add to the Crystal page on the wiki.
El.Psy.Congroo.
Image Image Image Image Image

Meball
Bug Catcher

Post by Meball » Sun May 25, 2014 5:08 pm

As it's a pretty long run (at least compared to Red), you can't expect to memorize everything as quickly, especially considering there's way more stuff to keep track off. If you don't feel like starting with speedrunning the whole thing, you can do some runs up till Lance (Kanto is pretty short, especially compared to Johto, and it's easier to know what you have to do there).

As mentioned before, if on emulator, create save states for practice and just go through the game following the notes (Samitian's notes are pretty good and were linked before already) and don't be afraid to S+Q in the first few runs, if only just to get some splits to compare against (and most likely easily beat once you know the game better).

An average Totodile will do, just don't take one with 9 Speed, it's dreadful (also don't forget to check your stats at 6, they're important too). Other than that I guess watch videos of runs, here's my first completed run of the game with an average Totodile.

Luckless
Site Admin

Post by Luckless » Sun May 25, 2014 6:40 pm

crafted wrote:Take 9 speed if your just starting out.
Meball wrote:An average Totodile will do, just don't take one with 9 Speed, it's dreadful
Nice consistency guys Kappa b
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are" - Mewtwo

Image Image Image Image Image

FractNL
Bug Catcher

Post by FractNL » Sat May 31, 2014 1:01 pm

Yesterday I got a 3:41, today I got a big PB with 9 speed: 3:35; if you want to watch it, here is the link:
http://www.twitch.tv/fractnl/c/4367333

Gunnermaniac3
Bug Catcher

Post by Gunnermaniac3 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:52 pm

DV Effect
14 Speed tie with 1st Rattata
12 Slower than 2nd and 3rd Rattata, speed tie with Blue's Alakazam
11 Speed tie with 2nd Pidgey, speed tie with 1st Ekans, slower than Blue's Alakazam
7 Slower than 1st Ekans, possible speedtie with 2 Wild Electrode
6 Slower than Chikorita, slower than 1st Rattata, speed tie with Martha's Haunter
5 Possibly slower than 2 Wild Electrode, speed tie with Karen´s Gengar
4 Slower than 2nd Pidgey, speedtie with 3rd Pidgey, speed tie with Falkner's Pidgey, speed tie with Rival 2's Bayleef, slower than Martha's Haunter, slower than Karen´s Gengar
3 Speed tie with 1 Wild Electrode
2 Slower than 1 Wild Electrode, speed tie with Rival 4's Sneasel
1 Speed tie with Rival 2's Gastly, slower than Rival 2's Bayleef
0 Speed tie with 1st Zubat, speed tie with 4th Rattata, slower than Rival 4's Sneasel, speed tie with Sabrina's Alakazam

This assumes no spinners. Mostly vorlator's work.

Return to “Pokémon Crystal”