Problem with coin case glitch

shadowlink96
Bug Catcher

Problem with coin case glitch

Post by shadowlink96 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:07 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new to learning pokemon runs, I've mostly run final fantasy in the past, but I've always wanted to run pokemon and the glitched gold run at SGDQ made me want to learn this run.

So I just did my first run of it using the route on the wiki, and I'm using BGB 1.4.3 with the default options, and then break on OAM DMA bad accesses checked.

So I have the wooper in the fourth slot with return, holding sweet scent, with return in the correct move slot, and I'm pretty sure all of the box names are correct, I've checked multiple times.

So when I do what I assume is the correct movement, and I use the coin case, the game just resets with bad colors. I've done it about 10 times now, with each kenya, croconaw, and the egg. With Kenya and the egg, it just resets, but with croconaw the game screen goes black and makes a whistling sound.

is it possible that I just got pretty bad luck with DVs? I assume this is something that has happened to someone before and I'm just missing something.

Thanks for reading!

shark
Schoolkid

Re: Problem with coin case glitch

Post by shark » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:01 pm

though i don't run gold glitched it's probably a problem with your pokemon's dvs - catch a wild pokemon and try with that in your 3rd slot and see what happens? apart from that i don't know, sorry - but good luck with learning it :)

shadowlink96
Bug Catcher

Post by shadowlink96 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:53 pm

I tried that, went and caught a drowzee, it gave me the same thing as croconaw, which makes me think it may be a problem with the emulator or the rom.

I'll keep trying things.

shadowlink96
Bug Catcher

Post by shadowlink96 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:18 am

This is what happens most often when I try it, by the way.

Ho-oh gets some cool sunglasses, but the game isn't completed :(

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:45 am

Since you said you're playing on bgb, you can fairly easily upload your save file to dropbox or w/e for us to look at. Could you do that so we can see if it's a problem with what you did, or just horrendously bad luck?

shadowlink96
Bug Catcher

Post by shadowlink96 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:51 am

Thats a great idea. Like I said I'm pretty new to this so its probably a glaringly obvious mistake, and this is my save file from the first run I did

This link should work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgnk3hbeuzbiz ... ope%29.sav

Thanks a lot!

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:01 am

Okay I looked and you were indeed just hideously unlucky. Your Kenya & Egg had "bad DVs", and your Croconaw had an amount of Stat EXP in Attack that caused that black screen crash (which is why Croconaw is the least recommended of the three to use, since he actually has stat EXP). Wild catches are much less likely to work than Kenya/Egg because of their possible stat ranges, but if you had kept trying you would probably have eventually caught something that worked. Abra from the Game Corner can also be used as a last resort (though he costs $4000)

shadowlink96
Bug Catcher

Post by shadowlink96 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:04 am

All right guys, I did a new run, and this time I was able to complete it! My time was around 0:58 in game time, so I'm pretty happy with that for a first run.

However, I'm still curious what was wrong with that other run, if anyone could help me out with that, I would be appreciative, in case it happens in future runs.

Thanks again! Now I'm gonna do an RTA and time it so I can submit it to the leaderboards sometime :)

shadowlink96
Bug Catcher

Post by shadowlink96 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:10 am

Oh didn't see your comment before I posted.

Thanks! I had a feeling I was hideously unlucky. I'll keep the abra strategy in mind.

Return to “Pokémon Gold/Silver”