NSC Ditto Route - How do you catch the ditto?

NieDzekob
Preschooler

NSC Ditto Route - How do you catch the ditto?

Post by NieDzekob » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:33 am

As you can see, I can't catch the ditto... I use this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LeW ... 7dg74/edit and this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIE01IgqhFw but it doesn't work. I'm probably doing something wrong (captain obvious). Did you have problems with it too? How long did you try until it worked? Do you have any suggestions?

entrpntr
Pokémon Trainer

Re: NSC Ditto Route - How do you catch the ditto?

Post by entrpntr » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:24 am

That Google Doc describes the execution pretty well. It's important to know that clearing the "Wild Ditto appeared!" textbox is only a 4 frame window (starting when the last couple of characters are being printed to the screen). The easiest way to get this part down is to time your A input a bit early, and stagger with a B press very shortly after (as done in the video you linked). Throwing the Poké Ball frame perfectly isn't intuitive at first, but the timing is easier once you learn it. If you are on emulator, I recommend making a savestate as the encounter is loading and practicing a lot until you get the timing down.

If you are confident that you are doing the execution 100% correctly and Ditto still isn't getting in the ball, there are a few things that could explain that. Make sure your player name / Bulbasaur's name / items in your inventory all perfectly match the Google Doc, and make sure that Bulbasaur is not in red bar. Deviating from those in any way would still get the Ditto encounter, but will most likely affect the RNG, and result in a non-catch.

If you are confident that your setup is a 100% match to the Google Doc, try loading your save and immediately re-saving on the same tile; then retry the manipulation from the new save. There is a small chance (I believe 1/15?) that the in-game timer screws up the RNG in a way that still gets the Ditto encounter, but results in a non-catch.

If you are still having problems, capturing what you are doing on video is the easiest way to help pinpoint where the issue lies. Also consider signing up for the PSR discord for any follow-up questions you might have; there are a lot of people who frequent the discord, and you will likely get an answer much faster there than through the forums.

NieDzekob
Preschooler

Post by NieDzekob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:53 pm

OMG. I picked up the antidote in Viridian Forest by mistake. I tossed it and tried again. Guess what? First try!

NieDzekob
Preschooler

Post by NieDzekob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:22 pm

Now I get the ditto pretty often, but I think I'm messing up the party swaps. By any chance, do you know any programs that visualize input, so that I can show you how I do that?

entrpntr
Pokémon Trainer

Post by entrpntr » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:43 pm

The input display most emu runners use is NohBoard (link); be warned that it may take some work to get it set up.

I don't know the endgame of the new NSC route, so someone else would probably need to chime in; #gen-1-glitched on the PSR discord is the best place to ask if/when you sign up there.

Return to “Pokémon Red/Blue”