Fun/Interesting category: 151 No reprogramming

Sirtucx
Preschooler

Fun/Interesting category: 151 No reprogramming

Post by Sirtucx » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:33 am

Hello everyone,

Just a quick introduction, my name's Curt, I have enjoyed Pokemon for many years, got into twitch because I saw a Pokemon Speedrun OpieOP // , trying to be a game developer and be a bit more social with the communities.

Now that's out of the way this all started because I was interested in Trainer-Fly as it was simple to execute. I wanted to see if I could route catching all 151 Pokemon using this method so that led me to making a spreadsheet full of the values (I posted it on the forum to share with everyone). That being said I wanted to do this under the theme of "No reprogramming" such as Item Underflow, and Cooltrainer Mutation. I have nothing against speedrunners who do that. It just didn't interest me and came off as way to complicated. I recently watched Shenanagans_ do a playthrough with most of this in mind (I believe I saw Cooltrainer, but oh well), so I was looking into making a route and I was wondering if you could give me some feedback/advice on where to go next.

Based on casual timing (No speedrun settings, example kept the animations on and switch), I have:
Number of Pokemon: http://i.imgur.com/JVXOe3W.png (Red being the fossil, just marking for memory)
128 Masterballs
128 Rare Candies
Bicycle, Old Rod
Cascade + Thunder Badge
In 1:14:28.19

I know in the hands of a speedrunner this time would be significantly shorter. These are my current notes https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uoG ... sp=sharing (I apoligize if these are not as detailed as needed, these were just my own notes) and the data above only goes up to Section 7, so I'm looking on where to go from here. I have Sections 8 & 9, though I haven't gotten a good enough time as I was only experimenting with this part of the route today.

Any help/critique is welcome.
Thanks,
Sirtucx

JakeHathaway
Preschooler

Re: Fun/Interesting category: 151 No reprogramming

Post by JakeHathaway » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:05 pm

This looks like a very interesting category, the main problem I see is I could not find either Alakazam or Mewtwo on the spreadsheet. Mewtwo could just be caught normally, but a Pokemon like Alakazam that normally cant be acquired could cause some problems. If this could be figured out I would be very interested in looking into this category. My knowledge about glitched speed runs are pretty limited, so there could be a way to figure this out.

Regardless that's a lot of info you compiled and I enjoyed looking through all of it

Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Re: Fun/Interesting category: 151 No reprogramming

Post by Decon082 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:53 pm

Just saw this thread. It seems like what you're doing is very similar to the oldest Catch 'em All runs before item underflow was discovered. So this is basically the 2013 route but it's more optimized with new discoveries such as BTW for example. It would be interesting to do some runs with this route just to see how much improvement you can get over the earliest 151 route (werster's PB is a 4:38:47 and he didn't run the category post-underflow).
JakeHathaway wrote:This looks like a very interesting category, the main problem I see is I could not find either Alakazam or Mewtwo on the spreadsheet. Mewtwo could just be caught normally, but a Pokemon like Alakazam that normally cant be acquired could cause some problems. If this could be figured out I would be very interested in looking into this category. My knowledge about glitched speed runs are pretty limited, so there could be a way to figure this out.

Regardless that's a lot of info you compiled and I enjoyed looking through all of it
Yes, for this you have to use a Ditto-Fly. You need a Pokemon in your party with a special stat corresponding to 149 for Alakazam, and you do a Trainer-Fly then encounter a Ditto and have it transform into the Pokemon with 149 special. It's slow but for some Pokemon it's the only option. Plus you can often use one Pokemon to hit special stats for several important Pokemon.
I am the person who has ruined Red "Glitchless" forever and seconhandedly, Blue NSC Single Segment too
http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/subscribe

Return to “Pokémon Red/Blue”