Better run to start with?

SleepyBlastoise
Preschooler

Better run to start with?

Post by SleepyBlastoise » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:17 am

Hi, I am new to speedrunning, and was wondering if learning the normal glitchless run first is better then learning the catch all 151 run featured at SGDQ this year. I really liked the 151 run but seems very intense for being a first game to run. Does learning the normal run help you to learn the 15 run, or is it that much different? also would it just be smart to learn the normal run in the first place as I am new to running in general?? Keepo

Gymfreak739
Schoolkid

Re: Better run to start with?

Post by Gymfreak739 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:45 am

If you want to learn the catch 'em all run, I would start with learning the any% no save corruption run, as that is very similar to the first 20 minutes of catch 'em all. Learning glitchless first could help with learning movement and battle optimization, however in my personal opinion, if you just want to learn 151, there's no need to learn glitchless.

You can find the PSR wiki page for Any% no Save Corruption here: http://wiki.pokemonspeedruns.com/index. ... Corruption

SleepyBlastoise
Preschooler

Post by SleepyBlastoise » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:52 am

SCf3
Preschooler

Post by SCf3 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:41 pm

I'm new to speedrunning too and I've found the Any% No Save Corruption to be a great start. It's not too long and once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad. I want to try 151 in the future too!
Kappa

Sinstar
Jr. Trainer

Post by Sinstar » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:03 am

I think it depends on how competitive you want to be with speed running, if you just want to learn the catch em all run and be able to play through the route just fine, then NSC or straight learning the 151 route is fin, If you want to compete for the top times I'd suggest learning any% glitchless first, as it's a great way to focus on getting good at the small things such as menuing, movement etc that you need to be able to do second nature for a good 151 run. It really is juts personal preference however. Don't learn something you won't enjoy doing or you'll never get going.
Kappa Kappa Kappa Kappa

SleepyBlastoise
Preschooler

Post by SleepyBlastoise » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:53 am

I mean I would like to one day be up there but im looking to many get into streaming and just having fun so I think imma start any% no save and work from there :)

Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Post by Decon082 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:29 pm

It doesn't really matter which category you start with. Sure, glitchless is good for learning menus, but you're really just learning the concepts of menuing because the menus you do in each category are very different, so as long as you learn the concepts you can apply them to 151 without knowing glitchless. If you're really interested in learning 151 first then I'd just start with 151. Though apart from the early item buys, NSC is identical to the first 20 minutes of 151 so starting there will help you get good practice in the earlygame.
I am the person who has ruined Red "Glitchless" forever and seconhandedly, Blue NSC Single Segment too
http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/subscribe

SCf3
Preschooler

Post by SCf3 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:16 pm

Decon082 wrote:It doesn't really matter which category you start with. Sure, glitchless is good for learning menus, but you're really just learning the concepts of menuing because the menus you do in each category are very different, so as long as you learn the concepts you can apply them to 151 without knowing glitchless. If you're really interested in learning 151 first then I'd just start with 151. Though apart from the early item buys, NSC is identical to the first 20 minutes of 151 so starting there will help you get good practice in the earlygame.
(hi decon Kappa /)

I would also recommend learning NSC before 151 because like he said, the beginning is similar and will help you out with 151 later. I find NSC really fun and I think it's a great run to start with.
Kappa

Shenanagans
Site Admin

Post by Shenanagans » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:56 am

I'd suggest starting with NSC until you feel confident with the NSC route. Then start to learn 151. You will want to be very comfortable with some of the major glitches before you attempt 151. I HIGHLY suggest that you have a solid understanding of Item Underflow Menus, LGFly, and Cooltrainer before you attempt to do 151. Failing to understand one of those will likely lead to multiple game crashes per run, but with some practice it isnt too hard to get through the run!

Once you feel comfortable with NSC and want to move onto 151 we have a very good guide (I'll link it below) that will help you through your 1st run. Just take your 1st few runs slow and follow the guide (as forgetting a single step can be devastating) As you do more runs you will find yourself beginning to know how to do parts of the run without notes, and as you get more comfortable you can move away from using the long guide!

Best of luck :p

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zha ... ByYm4rPFr0
Feel free to follow me for all your Pokemon Resetting Needs!

Image Image Image

Return to “Pokémon Red/Blue”