The RTA switch and GBA emulators

Discuss policy guidelines for the community and whether something needs to be changed or not.
Personman
Preschooler

The RTA switch and GBA emulators

Post by Personman » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:38 am

In the announcement post, werster wrote
Additionally, all runs for the GBA titles will now also have emulator hidden by default. This is because VBA and all other options are not accurate for real time when it comes to emulating speed.
Now, I'm not part of this community really at all, and I have no idea what history or research has gone into this, but I am friends with the developer of mGBA, a less well known but generally very good GBA emulator.

I reached out to her on twitter and she said she believes it should be accurate enough for speedruns, but hasn't rigorously tested it or anything.

Do people here know about mGBA? If there are known issues with the timing, you should let her know so she can fix them! And if there aren't, you should totally use it and re-enable emulator runs for the GBA games!

EDIT: Since posting she discovered it does in fact have a timing inaccuracy when saving, but it's apparently no problem to fix (see her reply to the linked tweet).

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Re: The RTA switch and GBA emulators

Post by RXFADEZ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:27 am

We're aware of mGBA - but it hasn't been tested to be proved accurate at the moment. GBA emulators being hidden isn't necessarily just a thing that should happen for RTA, but for IGT too as both are inaccurate on emulator. Being hidden does not mean emulators are 'banned', it just means that they will not be presented on the leaderboards immediately alongside the console times. You can still speedrun on emulator and have it submitted.

jussimon
Preschooler

Post by jussimon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:52 pm

I didnt want to create a new topic for my question/issue so i'll just post it here.
So now that we emu users have to stream the borders of our emulator im forced to disable aero to be able to stream my game video through window capture(gameplay video doesnt show if i have aero on.) The problem of this means that whatever is my "active" window will be on my stream and im used to just alt tabbing like crazy while playing. Will my run be valid if i alt tab to discord or to youtube while im in a cutscene ingame? :)

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Jussi, you should be able to remove that issue by using monitor capture and just cropping to your emulator. Shouldn't require disabling aero, and as long as you don't cover the emu window with another window you can use other windows fine.
~

jussimon
Preschooler

Post by jussimon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:32 pm

The thing is i've always covered my emu when i alt tab and it wasnt an issue with game capture(nor would it be with window capture with aero enabled, if it worked for me.)
Cropped monitor capture seems to function identically to window capture w/o aero with some testing.

Here are the settings im using in case someone could see a problem with them. (using qpainter video engine makes my screen flicker thus i want to avoid it.)

Example of the game feed not playing.

Rongaryen
Preschooler

Post by Rongaryen » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:35 pm

jussimon wrote:The thing is i've always covered my emu when i alt tab and it wasnt an issue with game capture(nor would it be with window capture with aero enabled, if it worked for me.)
Cropped monitor capture seems to function identically to window capture w/o aero with some testing.

Here are the settings im using in case someone could see a problem with them. (using qpainter video engine makes my screen flicker thus i want to avoid it.)

Example of the game feed not playing.
I've run into this issue before, too. Check and make sure none of your other Scenes have windows capture checked. OBS seems to not like using multiple instances of the Window/Game/Monitor capture sometimes. I've had this same issue and it doing that usually fixed it for me. Worst case, you might try deleting all other captures in all other scenes.

jussimon
Preschooler

Post by jussimon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:26 am

Thanks for the suggestion, sadly it didnt work for me. I deleted every single scene and source and had nothing but gambatte window capture but i still couldnt get it to work. I also tried using OBS studio and had the same problem with that..
Also restarted both gambatte and streaming software a few times, ran them as admin/non-admin, booted my computer, kept changing gambatte video options on and off to see if anything would make a difference but nothing has worked so far.

Chivu
Preschooler

Post by Chivu » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:42 pm

I'm also having pretty much the same problems as jussi.
I only have 1 monitor, so disabling aero or monitor capture to just capture the emulator is not really feasible as I always end up overlapping my game (or splits/dvs) with other windows like OBS or my notes that will be shown on stream instead.

If I enable aero and just window capture Gambatte overlapping is not a problem anymore, but game feed is not showing, just the borders, similarly to the screenshot above. The top bar also doesn't update on stream at all when I change roms, making it look like I'm actually faking the window. This also happens with BGB, so I have no working setup atm.

Chromatrope
Preschooler

Post by Chromatrope » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:40 pm

Me and Daily as well as presumably all Windows 10 + OBS classic users have another problem, this:

OBS classic cannot capture window borders correctly on Windows 10. With many of us religiously avoiding monitor capture due to alt-tabbing or purely out of somewhat justified safety, or as with me, regularly moving windows around, this poses a pretty large problem. The only workaround for this is to first manually crop out the excess glitched border to the side of the window, and then only ever start a recording, stream or anything while Gambatte is the focused window. OBS is also fully unable to capture anything that changes in the title bar. Which means that you'd have to hard reset when switching roms, and restart your stream to make OBS work with it again. Daily also argues that it makes the title bar as useful as an overlaid screenshot of a title bar. I won't elaborate on that because I'm rather indifferent to the argument, but it is something worth considering.

I can also not switch to OBS Studio with a window capture plugin, for example, as studio is outright missing many of the important features I use.

Lastly, it also completely eliminates all possibility of playing in fullscreen, which kinda ruins the idea I had of having the game fullscreen on my second 4:3 monitor while having everything else on my primary, and I'm sure some other people (probably not too many though) also would find this annoying.

I wasn't opposed to the rule at first. It shits up stream layouts a bit blabla nothing large, but it's turning out to actually be a large inconvenience for many, where it was thought that it would not be. The main point of the rule is that you won't have newbies coming around and running on VBA, and it is otherwise very much a 'we trust you not to be a cunt' rule, as it is super, super easy to fake title bars, to the point where anyone who wants to cheat will still cheat.

My personal suggestion is a less inconvenient 'we trust you not to be a cunt' rule in the form of mandating having your emulator listed in some on-screen text. Nothing large or obnoxious, just some small text 'Emulator: Gambatte' 'Played on Gambatte' 'BGB GBC emu', whatever fits. This accomplishes the same core functions as the title bar rule does, by weeding out uninformed newbies, while it doesn't do less against cheaters, as adding some text to your layout is exactly as difficult as pasting over a title bar, and it has none of the downsides that the title bar rule does.

edit: typos
Perpetually lazy and uninspiring.

Return to “Policy Changes”