Decision: New Ruling on Instant Text

Discuss policy guidelines for the community and whether something needs to be changed or not.
werster
Site Admin

Decision: New Ruling on Instant Text

Post by werster » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:08 pm

First off, thanks to everyone who has participated in these discussions, for something that could've been very dividing it went quite smoothly. I'm glad the bitchiness was kept to a minimum.

When Instant Text was first discovered, it was the staffs decision to remain impartial and let the people running the game decide whether it should be allowed. On that day, they decided they wanted it. Today, they have decided they do not.

The direct numbers were about 60/40 that they want IT out of Any% glitchless. While that is a majority, it is not even close to an overwhelming one. That, combined with the actual discussions have lead to this decision.

Any% Glitchless will now prohibit the use of (bike shop) Instant Text. A Seperate category "No Major Glitches" will be branched off, and keep what is now the current ruleset.

For now, No Major Glitches will be placed in the Misc categories. This is because of what we assume will happen with the submissions, we expect significantly less people to run it after this ruling, as many of you expressed that it is less fun to run. If these estimations are incorrect on either side, adjusting its worth is not out of the question (More runs than we expect will see a promotion to Main category status, less runs than we expect will see a demotion to being completely wiped off)

It's important to know when making decisions like these that no decision leaves everyone happy. For those who think having two categories so similar being split is ridiculous, I would be your captain. This isn't a totally ideal solution, and if IT was banned as soon as it was found it probably wouldn't be the one we would be making right now. But what has happened has happened. There are a significant amount of runs with it now to warrant it, and lets face it, there are people who are attached to it now, and diminishing their investment whether they have runs or not is much less ideal.

Overall the goal of this decision was not to make the most sense on a speedrunning front, but to try and make the most people happy. Whether or not this is exactly what you wanted, I hope you can take something out of it and be happy regardless.

Disclaimer: Anyone who mentions that No Major Glitches or any other category should not allow Pokedoll on Marowak will be completely and utterly ignored. You have been warned :P

Keizaron
Site Admin

Re: Decision: New Ruling on Instant Text

Post by Keizaron » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:13 pm

The category name No Major Glitches has been chosen for the following reasons:
1) "Any% Glitchless With IT" (and consequently, "Any% Glitchless No IT") sounds silly.
2) A different name makes a split seem more appropriate and potentially encourages NMG getting some looks.
3) As entpntr pointed out, this gives us an umbrella category should another discovery similar to this be found.

Speaking of discoveries, remember that as a community, we are still very much young. Not much has been controversial in the years aside from emulator discussions. This is just another thing that will help strengthen the community and further work out any kinks in policy discussion.

We as staff felt this split was the right choice to appease as many people as possible. If it were outright allowed or outright banned, discussions would be never ending and there would never be a happy ending. This is a fair and balanced middle ground that I think most people will be okay with.

With that in mind, creation of the category on SRC will be done within the weekend, with all times that used IT being moved in the process. I want to thank everybody for the civil and informative discussions.

joshoneate
Preschooler

Post by joshoneate » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:31 pm

Seems like a good compromise. Now if anything else "glitchy" is found in the future it will be easy to find the right category for it

mumpfel77
Bug Catcher

Post by mumpfel77 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:01 pm

Glad this was resolved in a fair timely matter. Nice work everyone!

Shenanagans
Site Admin

Post by Shenanagans » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:19 pm

Very fair decision, but I'm wondering why the IT route is made MISC.

I agree with the entirety of this, the wording on the categories is perfect, but I am confused why one category is MISC.

The new category being created here isn't the "No Major Glitches" category, its the Any% Glitchless category so that should be the category starting off as MISC if either of the two are. I know lb clutter is a serious issue, but I'm not convinced that this was the correct way to handle the results of the debate. (especially considering that the 60/40 ruling held some weight and many people voted against IT because we were told to vote "_____ disagree" if we wanted a category split).

Good fair decision regardless, I just find it silly that the old category is being placed in MISC.
Feel free to follow me for all your Pokemon Resetting Needs!

Image Image Image

Patastrophe
Preschooler

Post by Patastrophe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:24 pm

werster wrote:For those who think having two categories so similar being split is ridiculous, I would be your captain.

Gunnermaniac3
Bug Catcher

Post by Gunnermaniac3 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:19 pm

I have to agree with nana. This ruling effectively kills any IT runs (people will only run the main category, let's not kid urselves and pretend this will end in any kind of unexpected way). The way this should be played out is to make IT the main category, and legacy misc. If people care more about legacy even though it's misc, and that is shown through the submission of runs (even considering it wasn't an official category, how many legacy runs have been submitted in the last 2 months?), THEN it makes sense to swap. Currently it's a death sentence, and I feel we moved from discussion to decision without enough inbetween. The only other choice that makes some sense is to make BOTH categories misc.

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:17 pm

Wait, no major glitches is becoming the misc category?
~

entrpntr
Pokémon Trainer

Post by entrpntr » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:10 am

First, I'd like to express appreciation for werster and Keizaron (and whoever else was involved in the decision); it struck me as a fair and open process throughout, under some less-than-ideal circumstances.

If I may request a couple points of clarification: (1) Is there a ballpark on the amount of activity you're expecting for No Major Glitches? (2) Is there a specific timeline for when the long-term status (Main/Misc/Dead) of No Major Glitches will be decided?

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Completely missed this post, sorry entr.

To be perfectly honest, we're going to be playing this by ear, both in terms of activity and in terms of if we're actually going to keep it miscellaneous for now or if a shift to main is in the near future; it seems most people are pleased with everything except that, and their points are somewhat understandable.

Fionordequester
Preschooler

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:16 pm

First of all, that sounds like a very good ruling, and I think you made the right decision. So here's my question. Does this mean that every previous Any% Glitchless run that used Instant Text is now going to be shuffled over to the No Major Glitches category? If that's the case, that means some runners are going to lose their WR, doesn't it?

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:49 pm

Eventually, yes. I will have all the runs that used Instant Text moved over. The only thing that changes in terms of "WR" is Gunner's run is WR in a different category now.

Return to “Policy Changes”