Question about national language of pokemon

Discuss policy guidelines for the community and whether something needs to be changed or not.
queentiger1989
Preschooler

Question about national language of pokemon

Post by queentiger1989 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:51 am

Hello all. Queentiger1989 here

I have a question about something that I've wondered.

Why do runs have to be done in English, why is Japanese not allowed?

Does something change when we do Japanese, per sa, certain items used or faster text?

Just wondering?

Thanks,
Queentiger1989

mccully95
Preschooler

Re: Question about national language of pokemon

Post by mccully95 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:45 pm

The text is significantly faster on the Japanese versions of the games. The community uses the English versions for convenience and consistency.

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:16 pm

Mccully pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Most Japanese versions (not all!) have significantly faster text, but this particular community has standardized into using the English versions of main series games because of how text-driven Pokemon games are. There are minor differences other than the text (Blizzard's accuracy in Gen 1, trainer Pokemon natures in Gen 3, other minor bugs/glitches that change between the versions) but none of them are really interesting enough to warrant separate tracking.

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:19 pm

To add to the above points, there's nothing stopping anyone from running the japanese versions, and many people have (G-heinz has run jap sapphire, MeVRNG has run jap leafgreen, off the top of my head), you just can't submit them to the leaderboards. There has been discussion about adding in japanese leaderboards though, and if more people were to run the jap versions this would lend more weight to that argument~
~

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Amoeba wrote:There has been discussion about adding in japanese leaderboards though, and if more people were to run the jap versions this would lend more weight to that argument~
It's less discussion and more wait-and-see-if-proposed-site-changes-actually-happen-first.

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:27 am

Yeah that's true, but my point's still the same. Clarification's good though~
~

Return to “Policy Changes”