Speedrun.com & Allowing multiple languages

Discuss policy guidelines for the community and whether something needs to be changed or not.
packsciences
Preschooler

Speedrun.com & Allowing multiple languages

Post by packsciences » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Hello,

Speedrun.com features a lot of interesting stuffs, especially for leaderboard.
I know Pokémon Speed Runs is a website dedicated for english version, but, shouldn't we all try to see how we could improve the leaderboards.
What I think can be added, is this : Image
Ok, so the thing is that we could add an extra variable to the leaderboard, which will be displayed by default on english and that will create some kind of "sub-categories".
Unfortunately, this method has a problem because it doesn't show the proper place because speedrun.com prints the global category ranking and not the language sub-category, which I asked here.
I know PokémonSpeedrun is really old and has a lot of rules, but shouldn't we try to open our minds to other versions ?

Thanks for reading

Sincerely

PackSciences

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Re: Speedrun.com & Allowing multiple languages

Post by RXFADEZ » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:51 pm

If I understand you correctly, your issues are two things:
1) People in non-English speaking countries may struggle to obtain an English copy of the game
2) People who don't speak English may struggle to speedrun games that aren't in their language

I'm not taking a stance here, but there are things to consider:
1) Emulators can run English versions of games (albeit if you're trying for WR this isn't a fix)
2) The majority of the time people don't learn games by reading them, but knowing the correct inputs to make and when to make them.
3) Although getting the best time or being the best runner is not always the thing people care about, it would be extremely hard to say who the best runner/better runner of a category was if the times will be different due to regional text.
4) There is not just language differences between the games, but often glitches and gameplay.
5) PSR is a largely (not all) English speaking community. And although there is no issue with people from different countries and who speak different languages wanting to run, there would be a lot of runs on the English leaderboards and then maybe one or two maximum on some of the others.

There's just some of my thoughts.

packsciences
Preschooler

Re: Speedrun.com & Allowing multiple languages

Post by packsciences » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:02 pm

RXFADEZ wrote:If I understand you correctly, your issues are two things:
1) People in non-English speaking countries may struggle to obtain an English copy of the game
2) People who don't speak English may struggle to speedrun games that aren't in their language

I'm not taking a stance here, but there are things to consider:
1) Emulators can run English versions of games (albeit if you're trying for WR this isn't a fix)
2) The majority of the time people don't learn games by reading them, but knowing the correct inputs to make and when to make them.
3) Although getting the best time or being the best runner is not always the thing people care about, it would be extremely hard to say who the best runner/better runner of a category was if the times will be different due to regional text.
4) There is not just language differences between the games, but often glitches and gameplay.
5) PSR is a largely (not all) English speaking community. And although there is no issue with people from different countries and who speak different languages wanting to run, there would be a lot of runs on the English leaderboards and then maybe one or two maximum on some of the others.

There's just some of my thoughts.
1) I started the discussion with some runners about Pearl/Diamond; I know you can take an emulator but since emu are banned on this game, I wanted to ask if I could put my time on the leaderboard.
2) I understand
3) The problem is that there are a lot of differences between kanjis and latin alphabet ... I don't know
4) Yes, I totally agree, that's also a reason why it could be interesting to make different leaderboard because some glitches are fixed and some characters acts differently.
5) I totally agree.

Please note that it's just a suggestion, a request; I just want your opinion about it.

Return to “Policy Changes”