Hard resets in runs and DMG mode on CGB games

Discuss policy guidelines for the community and whether something needs to be changed or not.
luckytyphlosion
Pokémon Trainer

Hard resets in runs and DMG mode on CGB games

Post by luckytyphlosion » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:12 am

Some thoughts I had that are relevant to the recent discussions regarding RTA vs GT and the accuracy of runs.

Hard Resets in run
In most cases, glitched runs discourage hard resets because they provide a time advantage over console due to not seeing the GB/GBC start up screen. However, you can ~legally acquire~ a copy of the CGB and/or DMG bios via Google, allowing you to have "accurate" hard resets.

Now, would this still be allowed? The GCN has a reset button which you can use, so I don't see why you can't. It may potentially spark interesting strategies; for example in my any% nsc run which was basically an excuse to have an accurate hard reset, instead of waiting for the "Now saving..." message to finish, I deliberately hard reset to save time. This doesn't corrupt save data because the game saves before printing the message (yeah derp gamefreak), so it shows an interesting example of hard resetting in runs.

DMG mode in Pokémon CGB games
This should probably go into the Pokémon Yellow forum, but I'll post it here anyways.
A while ago I had thoughts of one playing in DMG mode for Pokemon Yellow in order to save some frames, but I dropped it because I didn't think the frames would be substantial enough to sacrifice a neat-looking run. Recently, Gifvex actually tried to see any advantages of DMG mode, and he found less lag with map transitions.

Banning this is a tough situation. On one hand, it is as if you would run on a DMG, but on the other hand, console runs would be forced to potato-cam a gameboy or create a capture card for one in order to abuse the frames saved. I don't have a stance for this one and I just want to point it out.
Jack-Flys are OpieOP.

"GO ASK SANQUI" - luckytyphlosion whenever someone asks about how something in Pokémon Red/Blue works. (this means you exarion Kappa)

Sanqui
Jr. Trainer

Re: Hard resets in runs and DMG mode on CGB games

Post by Sanqui » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:06 pm

In my opinion...

Hard resets should be allowed in emulators when provided with a bootrom ("BIOS"). While there is a slight time save since it's a single press and not two (on hardware, you need to flip the switch back and forth), that probably falls in the same category as the different input method (keyboard), and is the reason emulator doesn't count for WR anyway.

I recommend against banning DMG mode on principle. Potatocam away.
I am the person who has ruined Gold Glitched forever and seconhandedly, Red NSC too
Ask me to make a dumb romhack for you!

Jul, a board.

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Re: Hard resets in runs and DMG mode on CGB games

Post by Dabomstew » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:46 pm

I wanted to refrain from posting until some more concrete research had been prepared, but I feel like I should post now that it appears that the DMG mode issue is actually a significant timesave and not just a few frames here or there.

I recorded 2 sample videos of DMG vs GBC for battles. They aren't perfectly synced or anything, but the difference is large enough that they still get the point across:

Wild encounter Pidgey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x58rcwf7AM0
Trainer battle with 6 Magikarps - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRFcCJczeUE

Obviously not every trainer battle has 6 Pokemon, but the overall impact of this across a full Yellow run (of any kind apart from Save Corruption, really) is still going to be fairly huge. And from what I've seen most of this timesave is also reflected on the in-game timer, so it appears to be just fact that better times are possible on DMG than any other platform.

Return to “Policy Changes”