Romhack Leaderboards

Discuss policy guidelines for the community and whether something needs to be changed or not.
werster
Site Admin

Romhack Leaderboards

Post by werster » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:14 pm

This subject really hasn't been touched in a separate topic really, just a few words here or there. Think it makes sense to make an actual one.

So far, I think there are currently 2 romhacks that currently are on speedrun.com. They are Fire Red Omega (http://www.speedrun.com/fromega) and Crystal Challenge Mode (http://www.speedrun.com/Pokemon_Crystal_Challenge_Mode)

Time for an unpopular opinion: Can we please not? Adding romhacks makes things extremely messy. There are about 20 thousand Pokemon romhacks out there, and by adding any you open the doors for all of them to be added. No one will take them as seriously as the main series games are taken (it's not like there's a romhack out there that's far and away better than a legit game) - rules will be flimsy as no one is going to care and less people will know the logistics of the games, competition is light if any at all. Honestly having leaderboards for the games themselves serve no purpose, if you're going to run a romhack you're going to do it anyway, whether there is a leaderboard or not.

Let's not forget the issue or romhacks getting updated and making old runs pointless, or people playing on older versions...issues are endless and upside is minimal.

I can't stress this idea enough: Just because you are speedrunning does not mean your achievements need to be on a leaderboard. I personally have done several runs, such as Battle Tower in Crystal, or Gold Symbols in Emerald, that I wouldn't consider putting on a site like speedrun.com. You can just have runs that are for fun, personal runs that you might put on a google doc of your speedruns or something, but do not belong on a leaderboard site. I'm by no means against people running romhacks, there's just no reason to have leaderboards for them.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to discuss

Luckless
Site Admin

Re: Romhack Leaderboards

Post by Luckless » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:03 am

werster wrote:Time for an unpopular opinion: Can we please not?
I dont think this opinion is as unpopular as you might think. I personally agree with you that they shouldn't be put on the leaderboards and your reasoning seems good to me. Although; there may still be some people who do disagree, in which case I encourage them to speak up :D
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are" - Mewtwo

Image Image Image Image Image

G_heinz
Pokémon Trainer

Post by G_heinz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:39 am

like my grandma always said:

"you worry about you, elly"

EDIT:

"heinz, that's all you're good for is starting flamewars"--spitfire 2015

Sinstar
Jr. Trainer

Post by Sinstar » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:56 am

Can't we just have a wiki page like we used to for challenge% (this may be still there) and maybe link it on speedrun.com or something, just a small link at the bottom or something and then people can do as many dumb categories and hacks as they like.
Kappa Kappa Kappa Kappa

crafted
Preschooler

Post by crafted » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:12 pm

I see what you mean. I think I just added it because I was like "oh cool speedrun.com has this feature, I'll use it". But yeah I'll remove it.

Edit: I managed to remove the category but I can't work out how to remove the actual game.

werster
Site Admin

Post by werster » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:29 am

I believe only super mods can, which is current only dabom and ctm (who?)

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:09 am

The game is old enough that only SRC full mods can actually delete it, so you should contact one of them.

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:50 pm

werster wrote:I believe only super mods can, which is current only dabom and ctm (who?)
Could replace ctm with some other handsome, dashing fellow. *cough*

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Post by RXFADEZ » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:07 pm

Keizaron wrote:
werster wrote:I believe only super mods can, which is current only dabom and ctm (who?)
Got any suggestions Keiz? I don't know anyone here like that.

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:38 pm

RXFADEZ wrote:Got any suggestions Keiz? I don't know anyone here like that.
I vote for iateyourpie

Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Post by Decon082 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Keizaron wrote:
Keizaron wrote:some other handsome, dashing fellow
Keizaron wrote:dashing
MKDasher for super mod 2015 FrankerZ
I am the person who has ruined Red "Glitchless" forever and seconhandedly, Blue NSC Single Segment too
http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/subscribe

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Post by RXFADEZ » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:18 am

MKDasher would find a way to RNG Manipulate the leaderboards so he has all WRs

Return to “Policy Changes”