TCG Rules/Runs

Discuss policy guidelines for the community and whether something needs to be changed or not.
Amoeba
Cooltrainer

TCG Rules/Runs

Post by Amoeba » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:05 am

Was watching Aneeslol's TCG run just now (1st place run, on emu, time of 1:06) and I noticed that he saved+quitted a couple of times, because of bad rng. However the ruleset says that runs are measured by IGT and S+Qs aren't allowed. His run is listed on the leaderboards by, what I presume, is the IGT, however his RT was 1:06:23 ish, and the video doesn't show the IGT in the menu after the run, so it is possible he just rounded his rta down. Regardless, his time doesn't match the same standard that the other 2 times are measured by. (I've had a quick glance at the other 2 runs, and they appear to go by the IGT in the menu, and don't S+Q)

I'll mention a possible switch to RTA, mostly because getting a non-resetless run 'looks' quite difficult (I say looks because I haven't run the game), but if the other 2 runs on the leaderboard don't use S+Qs, it would effectively punish both of those runs. However, Anees appears to be the first to run the game (going off of the leaderboard alone) and he appears to measure his time by the RTA.

Any thoughts?
~

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Re: TCG Rules/Runs

Post by Amoeba » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:03 am

[pls respond]
~

Chauzu
Preschooler

Post by Chauzu » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:52 pm

I am currently routing TCG 2 since I think it's more fun, and mainly because of the 8 minute intro for TCG 1.

In my opinion in-game time works well for both TCG games since you do get to see the time after the credits. But RTA is fine by me too, but allowing save + quit is a big no-no imo. Because considering the RNG in TCG you can win basically any match with good first turn rng, like getting the right starting hand and the opponent only having like one poke and not getting any other good cards can let you win basically any game in a few turns. So with save + quit I can see a lot of more boring, "restart until good rng" strats.

The only thing I'd really like to discuss regarding TCG 1 rules is the stupid 8 minute intro. Apparently according to the TCG 1 Route pastebin some have been using a save file after the intro for races, like this: http://imgur.com/6sw4TTu

imo this could be allowed for regular runs as well, at least if we want more people running it. I mean this isn't like Super Mario Sunshine intro that is mostly button mashing; you do have to focus quite a bit during the tutorial since you need to follow the instructions so you can't really multitask during this time. So in the end, nothing is stopping us making a rule like the Metroid Fusion community has with the "00:00 Main Deck File" where they save after the intro to allow runs to skip it. Well, I'd like to propose such a solution for TCG 1 as well and allow making save files after the intro to use for running.

These are just my opinions in any case, but considering the few amount of people actually running TCG 1 making it more accesible could be an option. I know I'd invest more time in it later in any case.

stump
Bug Catcher

Post by stump » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:18 am

I'd do TCG 1 attempts much more were it not for that pesky tutorial, and I'll bet this is true of many other people.

Depending on the exact effect of reloading on IGT, allowing a savefile of standardized construction might not be workable without switching to RTA timing. Whether to allow save-and-reset along with that can be a separate discussion. (That said, save-and-reset isn't forbidden in races, and I find the level of scumming induced by this to strike the perfect balance between too much resetting and repeated-and-too-drawn-out lost-cause duels, so I think if this category's rules change we should start allowing that.)
http://twitch.tv/stumpdotio (Red glitchless, Blue NSC, Yellow NSC, and 151... and also Spyro games.)
I enjoy nice assembly dives.
KevinTurtle KevinTurtle KevinTurtle
Upcoming project: Practice savestate generator (tell it what DVs you want and such)

werster
Site Admin

Post by werster » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:56 pm

Hi,

Been talking to Blazephlozard, who has now also gotten a 1:06 Single Segment in any%, there's no point having anees run still up there if this game is going to use IGT (which is what everyone else goes for). If no one objects, I'm deleting it in 3 days.

I'm also going to add All Cards as a category, since Blazephlozard has been doing multiple runs of that and it seems completely legit as a category. Will watch the run and add when I get home (in a few hours).

That's all, just like to keep things through the loop so if their are any objections people can let us know before changes are made. Cheers

Return to “Policy Changes”