Emulators that must be banned

Discuss policy guidelines for the community and whether something needs to be changed or not.

Re: Emulators that must be banned

Post by Alocks » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Would it inflict with IGT? Or just RTA?
If doesn't at least could be an option for my wallet with IGT categories.
Thanks for the reply. And sorry about the off-topic question

Jr. Trainer

Post by Sanqui » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:21 pm

I believe it affects both. I'm not sure how significant the delays are, though. Could just be a few seconds over the course of the entire run.
I am the person who has ruined Gold Glitched forever and seconhandedly, Red NSC too
Ask me to make a dumb romhack for you!

Jul, a board.

Post by pirateluck » Tue May 24, 2016 9:16 am

Ok, so I did some testing on sapphire to find the frame rate of my emulator (I did this because I wanted to know a good estimate of how much time I needed to wait before getting my kip; RNGReporter calculates the estimate using FPS=60 which was kinda inaccurate) and so I thought I would share some of my findings. Hope this is relevant to the discussion anyways. Basically, I calculated the FPS of vba-rr v23.6 to be 59.6554 while vba-M was 59.8168.

The method was basically, create a save point before the bag, reset emulator, and start my splits immediately as I reset. Wait for time to pass while on the "Yes/No" menu. Stop timer and click yes for mudkip at the exact same time. Record the time and which frame the kip belong to. Repeat at least 3 times. Plot a graph of frame against time and find the gradient of the graph, which gives the FPS.

I have no idea on the accuracy of this findings as FPS may vary differently throughout the game (such as cutscenes, entering doors, menus, etc). I have no clue on the inner-workings of the emulator so please take these numbers with a pinch of salt. Also, these results obviously are inaccurate in the sense that I may not have stopped the timer exactly when I clicked for my kips and that I assumed any extra frame advancement while resetting and loading the game was the same.

If you wish to take a look at how I calc'ed it, my excel sheet is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9_4W ... TNHMEIydlE

P.S. I only did vba-rr and vba-m as these are the emulators I currently have. Would be nice to know how much different the FPS is with console too (according to some quick google search it is 59.737? but would this number be the same in all games, I do not know).

Return to “Policy Changes”