Pokemon Red Races: 1st Race Oct. 11th @ 6PM GMT

Collaborate on projects all around the community (coding, wiki, etc.)
k3v227
Bug Catcher

Pokemon Red Races: 1st Race Oct. 11th @ 6PM GMT

Post by k3v227 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:27 am

*EDIT* Survey/Sign Up Sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

**EDIT** Date/Time Strawpoll: http://strawpoll.me/5552661

Greetings,

This an attempt to organize more red races along with some type of schedule (weekly, monthly, etc.). This is largely inspired by the Get Yourself Speedrunning race and the fact that most people seemed to enjoy it. There was talk about making a post similar to this at the time, but I haven't seen a post of that nature so here it is. I would have liked to see someone with more popularity in the community create this post by now because I fear that people will read this and not be fully interested since I'm making it. But I hope that won't be the case OpieOP

Anyway, with this thread I hope to start a dialogue to establish times that work for the most people interested in racing. There will have to be compromises by some because we all live in so many different time zones.

Separately, I think that this thread shouldn't necessarily be limited to organizing only red races. If a lot of runners are running something other than gen 1, then there can be a race organized for that. That can be discussed further, but I don't have much to say about this as I would only run red races.

Also, this thread doesn't need to be limited to organizing large-scale races and should be used to set up smaller races too to avoid sitting in an SRL channel for 30+ minutes :D

I think some type of google spreadsheet would be a good format for compiling the preferences of those interested and as a means to schedule actual races. Suggestions or other ideas for this are appreciated.

Anyway, I hope that many people contribute to this thread and that we genuinely try to make this work. Lastly, I encourage any runner of any skill level to not be shy and to participate. This is a good opportunity for us all to have some fun and gain some experience too.

Thanks ^_^
Last edited by k3v227 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
GEN 1 MASTER RACE KevinTurtle

Twitch
Twitter
YouTube

k3v227
Bug Catcher

Re: Organizing Pokemon Red Glitchless Races (Open Discussion)

Post by k3v227 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:41 am

k3v227 wrote:Anyway, with this thread I hope to start a dialogue to establish times that work for the most people interested in racing. There will have to be compromises by some because we all live in so many different time zones.
The GYS race was at 5 or 6 PM GMT (don't remember 100%) and it seemed like this time was reasonable for most people. I think that this is a fair starting point to begin with for what time of day to have the races.

I think having the races on Saturday or Sunday is probably the best time of the week for most people (I'd prefer Sunday). Also I think having the races monthly is best (biweekly could work). I think having large races too often will take the fun out of them and people will lose interest quicker than if they were less frequent. I think if we have a big race and then have time to let the hype build up again then this will lead to more successful large-scale races.

Twitch
Twitter
YouTube

Flutz
Preschooler

Post by Flutz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:49 am

Nice idea kev, im totally supporting that. Kreygasm The time would be fine for me and most europeans too i guess. Do you already made a spreedsheat?
Believe in your dreams like a cow Kreygasm Believe!

jussimon
Preschooler

Post by jussimon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:46 pm

i have nothing smart to say so im just gonna say lets go, anytime anyday ill be there

Exarion
Cooltrainer

Post by Exarion » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:29 am

I'm up for this. I think the races would work best if we had 10+ people every time, rather than just the same group of 3-4. So a biweekly or monthly race would probably work best.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/exarionu
Pokemon Red speedrunning guide: http://pastebin.com/CkVA5yvJ

k3v227
Bug Catcher

Post by k3v227 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Flutz wrote:Do you already made a spreedsheat?
Here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Exarion wrote:I'm up for this. I think the races would work best if we had 10+ people every time, rather than just the same group of 3-4. So a biweekly or monthly race would probably work best.
I agree. I think once more people are made aware of this then those types of races should be possible. Having something like 15-30 runners on board would be optimal because obviously not everyone will be able to participate in every race. Sometimes races will have less than 10 runners but that will still be better than the current state of red races Kappa

Also, I would really like to see more runners getting involved with this so it doesn't end up dead in a week. Please spread the word if you can, any runners are welcome :)

Twitch
Twitter
YouTube

Shenanagans
Site Admin

Post by Shenanagans » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:17 pm

Good idea Kev
Feel free to follow me for all your Pokemon Resetting Needs!

Image Image Image

k3v227
Bug Catcher

Post by k3v227 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:11 pm

*Edit* Strawpoll here: http://strawpoll.me/5552661

Okay so at this point we have 19 people who have expressed interest and have provided info to help us discuss a date and time for a race. I think it's important to set up the first race and after that we can talk about how frequently we would like to have more races. So for the purposes of the first race let's just focus on setting the date and time.

Based on the data provided:

-The most popular day was Saturday and then Sunday (no surprises there).
-The most popular time of day was approximately 6PM-2AM GMT, although it seems like the earlier hours of the range are preferred.

Proposal:

Bearing in mind that the GYS race took place at 7pm GMT on a Sunday, I think having a race on a Saturday at around the same time or later (6pm - 9pm GMT) is a reasonable date and time to aim for. Races that are earlier in the day will be in the favor of those in less forgiving time zones and would allow for bigger races.

I'd like to propose to have a race on October 3-4 or October 10-11 at 6pm - 9pm GMT.

Would a strawpoll help with this phase of the organization? Please discuss. Thank you.

Summary:

Concerning date:
-Most popular = Saturday with 12 votes
-2nd most popular = Sunday with 9 votes
-There were 3 votes for "anyday".
-Minimal interest was shown for the other days.

Concerning time of day (in GMT):

5pm-12pm
10pm-4am
7pm-2am
10pm-2am
9:30pm
6pm
4pm
6pm-4am
1pm-3am
There were 7 votes for "anytime".

Twitch
Twitter
YouTube

Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Re: Pokemon Red Races: Now setting up date & time for 1st race

Post by Decon082 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:11 pm

I could easily do either date, though I often have things come up on short notice that might keep me from joining. Voted for the first weekend listed just because it's closer and would probably still have interest maintained.
I am the person who has ruined Red "Glitchless" forever and seconhandedly, Blue NSC Single Segment too
http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/subscribe

7hryne
Bug Catcher

Post by 7hryne » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:34 pm

Yay that could be awesome so we could know each other and stuff if there is a channel held on Discord KevinTurtle
Id rather prefer Sunday, but if it happens evenry Saturday Id try to be there from time to time.

k3v227
Bug Catcher

Post by k3v227 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:53 am

Making a fixed poll because the last one wasn't consise enough. http://strawpoll.me/5581356

The next poll should be to determine a specific date.

Twitch
Twitter
YouTube

k3v227
Bug Catcher

Post by k3v227 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:03 am

To determine the date: http://strawpoll.me/5607455

Next poll will determine the time of day. Stay tuned.

Twitch
Twitter
YouTube

k3v227
Bug Catcher

Post by k3v227 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:41 am

To determine the time: http://strawpoll.me/5658493

Hopefully the final poll.

Twitch
Twitter
YouTube

k3v227
Bug Catcher

Re: Pokemon Red Races: 1st Race Oct. 11th @ 6PM GMT

Post by k3v227 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:41 pm

Ok looks like first Red Race on October 11th at 6PM GMT. The final poll was conclusive enough so mark your calenders.

Twitch
Twitter
YouTube

Medicean
Preschooler

Re: Pokemon Red Races: 1st Race Oct. 11th @ 6PM GMT

Post by Medicean » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:58 am

Yeah Kappa b

Return to “Projects”