Generation 1-6 Glitchless Relay Race Idea

Collaborate on projects all around the community (coding, wiki, etc.)
Gymfreak739
Schoolkid

Generation 1-6 Glitchless Relay Race Idea

Post by Gymfreak739 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:51 am

Before I start, I would like to say that this is something that may or may not happen and it is not being worked an at the time of this post. It is simply an idea in the works! Now that that's out of the way, let's begin.

So yesterday in Decon's chat, we were talking about a doing a glitchless relay, and we were saying that even for a single player, it should only take about 24 hours. That's when we got the idea of doing a glitchless relay race. I know that a generation 1-3 glitchless race was in the works a while back, but that nothing ever came of it.

Our idea was this: try to get 2 teams of six players, one player on each team for each generation of Pokemon (NA vs EU?). The games would be as follows:

Red or Yellow
Gold or Crystal
Sapphire or Emerald
Pearl or Platinum
Black or White 2
X/Y (I don't believe there are any major speedrunning differences between these games, please inform me if there is)

I am not currently taking any runners right now, however if am just wondering if anyone would be interested in watching/participating in something like this.

Exarion
Cooltrainer

Re: Generation 1-6 Glitchless Relay Race Idea

Post by Exarion » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:04 am

I'm very interested.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/exarionu
Pokemon Red speedrunning guide: http://pastebin.com/CkVA5yvJ

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:44 pm

I'd be interested, though I think limiting it to 2 teams might limit the playing field too much. Suppose it depends on interest.
(In a way I'd like to do this race, but be my own team and try every run).

I also think that you'll struggle picking games from each generation, and other technicalities similar to that (no remakes? any% or glitchless? etc)
~

G_heinz
Pokémon Trainer

Post by G_heinz » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:18 am

sounds like a good time

Vulajin
Schoolkid

Post by Vulajin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:55 am

Gen 5 is a little touchy for a race situation. Black doesn't have many runners, but White 2 has difficult (effectively luck-based) RNG manipulation.

That said, I'd consider coming out of Pokéretirement for something like this.

7hryne
Bug Catcher

Post by 7hryne » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:29 am

Sounds to me like a great idea you had there. If I have time to make some heavytrain/get a real cartridge of Emerald English version to run it on console, then Im in for it. It's all depending on the date it might take place.

EDIT : Concerning Black, I could try it if there are no former runners. Depending on when it'd be.

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:34 am

I had originally discussed this with a handful of people, except it was gen 1-3. 4 and beyond is tough because of the limited amount of runners.

Sinstar
Jr. Trainer

Post by Sinstar » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:01 am

I can do gen 5/6 but I'd suggest starting post starter at least for gen 5. (probably for gen 4 too idk)
Kappa Kappa Kappa Kappa

Gymfreak739
Schoolkid

Post by Gymfreak739 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:49 pm

It's pretty awesome that you guys are interested in something like this!

Because of this, I would like to start organizing this relay race becoming a reality! This is something that I can't do on my own though. I will need help with things like decision making, submissions, making teams, stream layouts, audio setups, etc. Anyone who is interested in helping me out, please contact me either on this thread, or my twitter (@Gymfreak739)

All help will be appreciated!

StarrlightSims
Preschooler

Post by StarrlightSims » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:17 am

I'm happy to help out on the decision making/submission side of things if needed

7hryne
Bug Catcher

Post by 7hryne » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:38 pm

I can try to help you too to organize/get layouts. I also can restream it in French as I did for the PSR Marathon.

Gymfreak739
Schoolkid

Post by Gymfreak739 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Alright, so I wanted to do this for a while now, but real life has been SUPER busy fsince September or me. I was hoping that it would clear up, but it hasn't. I won't be able to organize for a long time. If anyone wants to take up organizing this, go ahead.

7hryne
Bug Catcher

Post by 7hryne » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:25 pm

I might try it out myself.

EDIT : if ppl let me do it of course FrankerZ

Sfayne
Preschooler

Post by Sfayne » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:47 pm

Reminds me that Zelda 3D games relay race that occurred one year ago ( http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/relayrace ). People were submitting games they wanted to run and time estimations based on their level, and then teams were formed to have technically balanced groups as long as the estimations were accurate. I however believe they were some balance balance problems because some people were submitting really optimistic times, some people submitting like they would submit a marathon run (worst possible time they could possibly get) etc... And you would most likely need a judge or something to decide if the estimations are accurate or not.

I would be interested myself but that would not include Firered and I don't have a 3DS capture card for X so there's no game I'm good enough to run right now, I could still help as a caster, part of the organization or anything, I like the concept

StarrlightSims
Preschooler

Post by StarrlightSims » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:17 pm

I'd be willing to take lead on dealing with submissions/organising teams, if people are willing to help out with other stuff?

7hryne
Bug Catcher

Post by 7hryne » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:08 pm

StarrlightSims wrote:I'd be willing to take lead on dealing with submissions/organising teams, if people are willing to help out with other stuff?
Well, what we could both organize this then :)
I guess I'll be making a poll tonight to check when it could happen.
Sfayne wrote:[...] People were submitting games they wanted to run and time estimations based on their level, and then teams were formed to have technically balanced groups as long as the estimations were accurate. I however believe they were some balance balance problems because some people were submitting really optimistic times, some people submitting like they would submit a marathon run (worst possible time they could possibly get) etc... And you would most likely need a judge or something to decide if the estimations are accurate or not.

I would be interested myself but that would not include Firered and I don't have a 3DS capture card for X so there's no game I'm good enough to run right now, I could still help as a caster, part of the organization or anything, I like the concept
If we use the marathon as a "mirror" of Pokemon performance, we can choose ppl that would be willing to join by the consistence of their run. IE I wouldn't apply for Pokemon Emerald as Roush, Amoeba or Exarion are way more consistent in their run. The only problem with it is that a lot of people could be ignored due to that requirement...

Return to “Projects”