PSR Official Marathon Planning

Collaborate on projects all around the community (coding, wiki, etc.)

PSR Official Marathon Planning

Postby Dawtm » Mon May 12, 2014 3:59 am

Heya everyone, I’m here to greet you with some good news! The Pokemon Speedruns Marathon has reached enough interest that it’s going to happen! We still need your help with ideas and planning, so please feel free to participate! All the information provided below was done by Heero_fred and edited slightly.

Pokemon Speedruns Marathon ~ Date: TBD

Objective:
To showcase a variety of Pokemon speedruns as well as runners around the PSR community. We will include both main series and spinoff games, allowing for a wide range in games. This variety brings together both well-known runners and lesser known runners that definitely deserve some love! This first marathon will be for fun, not a charity event or a funding event. However, depending on the reception, a charity marathon may be considered in the future.

This will be an online marathon hosted on http://www.twitch.tv/pokemonspeedrunstv

Planning Committee:
The team consists of the following people (so far):

Lead: Dawtm
Pokefluke
Heero_fred
Cooltrainermichael
LblueEagle
Shenanagans

If you would like to join the committee, make sure to read below.

How can I participate*?
As a marathon runner:
Game submission form will be added to this post once the date has been finalized.

As a planning committee member:
If you want to take part on the planning team, be sure to post below. We will be using Skype as our main method of communication, so please be willing to provide it via PM once we add you to the committee.

We will include updates in the planning process below, feel free to give us input or are curious how progress is going! Thank you for your time!

*Do note if you choose to either submit a game or volunteer to help that you will be 100% responsible for your role or game

For reference, you can find the initial Marathon thread here: viewtopic.php?f=114&t=150
Dawtm
Schoolkid

Re: Pokemon Speedruns Offical Marathon

Postby LBlueEagle » Mon May 12, 2014 4:07 am

Go ahead and add me to the help committee doing whatever yall need help with :3
I could not make her the avatar so she gets the signature to herself <3Image
LBlueEagle
Bug Catcher

Re: PSR Official Marathon Planning

Postby jtmagicman » Mon May 12, 2014 11:40 am

Im keen to do some HeartGold during this event so count me KevinTurtle
jtmagicman
Bug Catcher

Postby Shenanagans » Mon May 12, 2014 4:22 pm

I shall join you planning people if you need more hands.
Feel free to follow me for all your Pokemon Resetting Needs!

Image Image Image
Shenanagans
Site Admin

Postby Tigerkyle » Tue May 13, 2014 12:21 am

I'm down to help out also if needed. After school's over in a week, i have close to nothing going on.
Tigerkyle
Bug Catcher

Postby heero_fred » Tue May 13, 2014 1:14 am

STATUS UPDATE ~ 5/12/2014

Date
We now have a possible date for the event: July 11th to 13th, this date is not final, we would love to get some feedback on it

Game Submissions
Now with a date almost confirmed, game submissions are close, so we want you to take the following points into consideration in preparation for your submissions:

1.- What do I want to run? ~ Think carefully what games do you want to run, you only have 3 possible submissions, select the one you want to run the most first, and the one you want to run the least last.

2.- Time Estimate ~ Don't make it based on your PB, things can and will probably go wrong, so base your estimate on a worst case scenario

Make sure to add 5 minutes for every half an hour of your run to make up for setup times, as well as 10 extra minutes for extra resets for stats (more on the later in a future post), it doesn’t matter if it makes your run seem slow, it’s to prevent the marathon to go behind schedule.

3.-Availability ~ Find out when you are going to be available to run your games.

Committee update
We like to welcome our 2 newest members on the committee Lblueeagle and Shenanagans!

Artwork
We are also looking for an artist to work on the artwork for the event, if you are an artist, or know one that would love to work on it, let us know!

If you have any question about these points, post bellow
heero_fred
Youngster

Postby anirocks99 » Tue May 13, 2014 1:18 am

Honestly I'm very much up to helping out this marathon. With my skills, we will reach AGDQ level Kappa Seriously though, I'm willing to help with planning and helping out with the logistics :)
anirocks99
Schoolkid

Postby SirRouven » Tue May 13, 2014 11:45 am

Jully 11th to 13th sounds great to me.

Would it be a problem if the game language is Italian? The thing is that as an example Pokémon Ranger doesn´t let you change your language settings after first time saving the game so all I have is a German or an Italian version of Pokémon Ranger and I really would like to run it for the marathon. Buying an english copy would cost me like 30$ so I would like to avoid that.

EDIT: Okay, would be like 15$.
SirRouven
Preschooler

Postby M.BisonFuté » Tue May 13, 2014 6:22 pm

I might be up with Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team because it's been my main Pokémon game i've been working on and there's already too much Red/Blue speedrunners (unless there's a big race for that event)
M.BisonFuté
Bug Catcher

Postby G_heinz » Tue May 13, 2014 8:28 pm

This sounds awesome! I only know Sapphire and I think spitfire already submitted that game but maybe I'll look into learning something new before it all goes down, who knows. Really cool to see PSR getting as much active participation as it's getting though.
G_heinz
Jr. Trainer

Postby heero_fred » Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 pm

no one has submitted any games since submissions are not yet open, the submission form will be posted on this thread when that happens
heero_fred
Youngster

Postby G_heinz » Wed May 14, 2014 2:20 am

oh, nice. thanks.

this is hype PogChamp
G_heinz
Jr. Trainer

Postby Nederlander123 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:27 pm

I would love to help behind the scenes!
Nederlander123
Youngster

Postby Vulajin » Thu May 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Hoo boy. That suggested date range is really, really close after the end of SGDQ. This causes two difficulties:

1) At least for me, there would not be a whole lot of extra time to prepare for this marathon. I'd like to participate, but this is really pushing it for me.
2) You're running the risk of suffering from marathon fatigue in terms of viewership. I'm not sure exactly how much this affects the target viewer base, but it's something to think about. (On the bright side, since we're not taking donations, it doesn't matter that people will have already donated to SGDQ.)
Vulajin
Schoolkid

Postby heero_fred » Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 am

STATUS UPDATE ~ 5/16/14

GAME SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN!!

That's right as of now, game submissions are now open, and will stay that way for the following 2 weeks, we are looking to have a good balance of both main series RPGs as well as Spin-offs, and because of that, and the short time we have, sadly there will be cuts.

These cuts will be announced at a later date, a future update will talk more about this.

If you have any question about how to fill the form, PM any of the committee members before submitting, YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE TO SUBMIT YOUR GAMES

Game Submission form: http://bombch.us/jWE

Committee Update
We like to welcome our latest member TigerKyle1, as of now the core of the committee has been formed, however, there are still going to be ways to participate in the organization of the event, so don't get discouraged, more details on these in a future update.

Date
Vulajin wrote:Hoo boy. That suggested date range is really, really close after the end of SGDQ. This causes two difficulties:

1) At least for me, there would not be a whole lot of extra time to prepare for this marathon. I'd like to participate, but this is really pushing it for me.
2) You're running the risk of suffering from marathon fatigue in terms of viewership. I'm not sure exactly how much this affects the target viewer base, but it's something to think about. (On the bright side, since we're not taking donations, it doesn't matter that people will have already donated to SGDQ.)

We have taken that into consideration, however, a later date would conflict with ESA, and if done after that, it will coincide with people returning to school, limiting the availability of the runners.
heero_fred
Youngster

Postby Cooltrainermichael » Fri May 16, 2014 4:54 am

I feel like the Game Submission post can warrant it's own thread since it basically means the Marathon has been planned out. Also easier to find via the main page. Otherwise, looks great!
El.Psy.Congroo.
Image Image Image Image Image
Cooltrainermichael
Site Admin

Postby MeGotsThis » Fri May 16, 2014 3:07 pm

Is anyone going to work on getting this to Twitch front page?
MeGotsThis
Bug Catcher

Postby Lunar758 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:58 am

Add me to the committee list if you need any help.

EDIT: Time is not good for me BibleThump
Image Image Image Image Image

Click the Rattata for my Raticate% Wiki Page!
Click on the Raticate for my Raticate% Forum Post!
Lunar758
Bug Catcher

Postby G_heinz » Tue May 20, 2014 8:27 am

yo so like...what if we only run one pokemon game? i'm trying to fill out the form and wanna submit sapphire, but i legit don't know any other runs in full. i heard talk amongst the other sapph runners that there was discussion of making it a race and i would be down to get in on that if y'all didn't want to have just one of us do it, but is it all good if i just fill the other required fields with bullshit? or are you trying to weed out the scrubs from the slightly less scrubs or something?

i'll have you know my sapphire time is currently the best non-sub-scrub-werster time by almost a whole minute Kappa
G_heinz
Jr. Trainer

Postby GarfieldTheLightning » Tue May 20, 2014 10:39 am

N/A is an option for Games 2 and 3.
GarfieldTheLightning
Bug Catcher

Postby heero_fred » Tue May 20, 2014 3:09 pm

G_heinz wrote:yo so like...what if we only run one pokemon game? i'm trying to fill out the form and wanna submit sapphire, but i legit don't know any other runs in full. i heard talk amongst the other sapph runners that there was discussion of making it a race and i would be down to get in on that if y'all didn't want to have just one of us do it, but is it all good if i just fill the other required fields with bullshit? or are you trying to weed out the scrubs from the slightly less scrubs or something?

i'll have you know my sapphire time is currently the best non-sub-scrub-werster time by almost a whole minute Kappa

As Garfield said, only Game 1 is required, Game 2 and 3 are optional games, you can set those to N/A and leave the rest of their fields blank
heero_fred
Youngster

Postby Sup3rH3nry » Sun May 25, 2014 12:41 pm

I could totally help out with this if you guys need to.

If you need a runner, I would have to learn some games, Havent Played in Forever.

So if there's any game that you want to have run that nobody's wanting to do, I might be free to do it.
Sup3rH3nry
Preschooler

Postby Dabomstew » Fri May 30, 2014 6:56 am

Submissions should have closed by now, are there any plans to get a list of submissions with runners included released now? Would be good if this could be done soon.
Dabomstew
Site Admin

Postby Sup3rH3nry » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Already? How many people have submitted? It seems very rushed
Sup3rH3nry
Preschooler

Postby Dabomstew » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:36 pm

These two threads have fallen out of sync somewhat, but if you've been following the other thread ( viewtopic.php?f=114&p=1823#p1504 ) you'd learn that
  • Game submissions are now closed after being open for just over 2 weeks
  • Almost every main-series game and a ton of spinoffs were submitted, so there will be cuts
  • The submission list ( http://bombch.us/jjH ) has been updated to include the potential runners for each game.
Dabomstew
Site Admin

Next

Return to Projects