PSR Marathon 2016 - Another one?

Participate in events around the community such as races or marathons!
RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

PSR Marathon 2016 - Another one?

Post by RXFADEZ » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:13 pm

So it's almost eleven months since Roush started this thread on the forums viewtopic.php?f=114&t=411

This small rolling of a snowball avalanched into, what I believe to be, a massive success of a marathon.

So how about another one? Well first we must examine a few of the pros and cons.

Pros
-A very enjoyable marathon
-Lot of community involvement
-Introduced new people to the PSR community
-All small disagreements were set aside for an amazing marathon

Cons/Potential Issues
-Organisation (People are needed to organise the runs, run order, date, etc months in advance)
-Runners (For what is a marathon if we have no runners)
-Time Frame (Has to slot it in some point of a very busy area of time due to SGDQ and other events)
-Technical Difficulties
-Cost

Cost
I'd like to talk about the last two for a brief moment. The last marathon, and I hope he doesn't mind me saying this, was 100% funded by Dabomstew. Although I won't specify the amount, it's important to firstly acknowledge how amazing it was of him and secondly acknowledge that nobody expects the marathon to come out of his pocket again if we do decide to have another. This ties in to technical difficulties because using OBS is extremely annoying to swap between scenes and reduced the fluidity of a marathon. If we could purchase XSplit Premium for a weekend or get some sort of trial, it would allow us to edit scenes "behind the scenes" and allow for a more fluid marathon.

Would it be frowned upon if we did another marathon to seek donations to fund it?

Charity
Last year, the marathon was purely for fun. However, since we mention donations for funding, it must be brought into consideration that, if we do it again, we may also want to consider having a designated charity to raise money for.

At the time of writing, not other crucial conversation points spring to mind; but if I remember any or am suggested any, I will add them to this post.

Many Thanks

RXFADEZ

Gymfreak739
Schoolkid

Re: PSR Marathon 2016 - Another one?

Post by Gymfreak739 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:26 am

One thing I think we should decide on is what the main purpose of the marathon is. Is this for the charity, to showcase pokemon to non pokemon runners, or for our own entertainment? I can't speak for anyone else, but this will greatly affect what I submit/how I, personally, approach this marathon (if I have an influence on it :P)

MeGotsThis
Schoolkid

Post by MeGotsThis » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:30 am

Just to chime in on some tech stuff, the GDQ does not use XSplit because it is terrible for 24/7. I think it leaks memory. So that would not be a viable option. OBS Studio is pretty good for editing off screen. I don't think charity is needed for a marathon if the main point of the marathon is to showcase Pokemon Speedruns.

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:12 pm

OBS Studio solves a lot of the issues we had before so that's one thing down.

I don't agree with making this charity-based at all. This should just be a community showcase to display Pokems fast.

At the risk of sounding like the marathon is "Pay to Enter", one idea to offset costs is for runners to donate like $5 or $10 for any costs or whatever. Or just people in the community in general throwing in a few bucks here or there to help out.

I would also like to be way more heavily involved this time around. I wasn't staff at the time of the first one but I still scrambled very last second (and beyond <_< ) to try and work on layouts.

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:37 pm

I'm not too familiar with the organisation side of this, but where does the cost come from?
Also I'm echoing keiz that I'd love to me more involved with this one.
~

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Post by RXFADEZ » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:18 pm

The cost would come from hiring a server for the weekend. It's a lot more stable and effective than using multiple streamers to take shifts.

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:54 pm

Would you (or someone who knows) mind pm-ing me a rough idea of the cost of that? I don't want to out dabomstew's contributions if he doesn't want that to happen, but I might be in a position to fund the next one, depending on the amount.
~

eddaket
Schoolkid

Post by eddaket » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:23 am

Keizaron wrote:I would also like to be way more heavily involved this time around. I wasn't staff at the time of the first one but I still scrambled very last second (and beyond <_< ) to try and work on layouts.
I second this whole heartedly. Keiz did a ton last minute stuff and the layouts really looked good for the marathon.

I'd also like to volunteer myself for anything that's needed for this to work. I had a blast last time and I definitely want to make sure this is as great as it can be. I think last year volunteering to help was part of the submission process, so I may be jumping the gun a little bit, but I definitely wanna get my name out there as someone who's willing to help.

Sinstar
Jr. Trainer

Post by Sinstar » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:56 am

I'm still in the same boat I was in last year that it shouldn't be a charity marathon, given how I think last years seemed to give a nice boost to the community's profile I don't see a reason to change anything.
Kappa Kappa Kappa Kappa

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:45 am

As a personal opinion, I don't think it should be a charity marathon either. Adds a ton of extra organizational overhead and would be overshadowed by all the other big charity marathons going on in summer. It sucks a bit not having the donation incentive excuse to do wacky extras, but if there are good enough ideas for additional things to show off/vote on we could find another means of setting that up.

Rubberduckyassassin
Preschooler

Post by Rubberduckyassassin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:53 am

I just hope there is another one, I'd be glad to help organize and stuff if needed and like the idea of having a marathon dedicated to pokemon, it brings everyone together and gets lots of people more familiar with the pokemon runs. Cause lets be real pokemon isn't shown off enough in any kind of marathon because it gets a bad rap. So I think we should do this marathon regardless if its for charity or whatever

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:55 am

To third (fourth?) an opinion, I don't think it should be a charity marathon.
~

Pokehero
Preschooler

Post by Pokehero » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:10 am

I think PSR was such a success because people just love Pokemon. Even Twitch tweeted about it and it was a huge success. I think having another marathon is a great idea. If we do have to cover costs, I don't see why we couldn't set up some sort of donation goal that would need to be met a couple months before whenever the marathon would be scheduled for. As for a charity, I think it's a good idea to have it for charity, but at the same time, it worked very well when it wasn't for a charity so either scenario works. I just think it'd be a lot of fun!

Robthegamer117
Preschooler

Post by Robthegamer117 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:43 am

As one of the hosts from last marathon, i am completely stoked to hear that there might be another one coming! Personally, i couldnt care less if we benefit a charity. As for the cost, what if someone paid for the entire marathon, and then during the marathon viewers could donate to cover the majority of the cost. If viewers donated more than enough to run the event, then the extra money could go to either future marathons or charity. Either way, i hope the marathon goes great once again!

lost_RD
Preschooler

Post by lost_RD » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:07 am

RXFADEZ wrote:The cost would come from hiring a server for the weekend. It's a lot more stable and effective than using multiple streamers to take shifts.
Running ffserver or nginx-rtmp similar?

Decon082
Jr. Trainer

Post by Decon082 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:39 am

It was fun last year, I don't see any reason for myself to participate as a runner this time around, but I'd be interested in helping out if I'm around whichever weekend it ends up being.
I am the person who has ruined Red "Glitchless" forever and seconhandedly, Blue NSC Single Segment too
http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/subscribe

Wadiwadum
Preschooler

Post by Wadiwadum » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:14 pm

I think this is a great idea and that funding the costs via donations is one very good idea too. I would rather not do a charity stream but we can definitely tell people to keep some money for SGDQ and whatever Pokémon donation incentive there will be. On a side note depending on what the plans are I am interested to be part of it as a runner, though I only run red and there are a lot of better runners so I would of course let them the priority and would be very happy to cast anything that is related to red.

WasabiKnight
Preschooler

Post by WasabiKnight » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:40 pm

I just wanna pitch in because I thought this was important.

If renting a server is where the biggest cost is I think I might be able to help, I have access to microsoft's azure servers for free (it was granted to me due to a protocol of my uni with microsoft) so I can just give you guys what I have. I'm not 100% sure if it totally serves the purpose (because I never tried doing stream relays from custom servers), but it's worth a try.

Also I think it would be a great idea to contact someone from Twitch (maybe someone who deals with the media?) just as a heads up in case they want to advertise. For example, they send monthly newsletters with what's going to happen on that month and it would be awesome if we could make the PSR Marathon show there. This doesn't seem too far-fetched of an idea to me since they usually support speedrunning a lot.

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Post by RXFADEZ » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:04 pm

UPDATE: Last year we used an Amazon EC2 Server to run the marathon, and this year we will likely be doing the same. The full cost of the marathon has been volunteered to be paid for Amoeba (http://manboobs.space/).

Date is a VERY important thing to start considering due to the large marathons going on at similar times (SGDQ and ESA for example) and it would be good to get in a secure date before somebody else takes it and get people knowing about it way in advance. Personally I'm thinking the weekend after ESA might be good, but that of course depends on people's availability.

List of other Speedrunning Marathons this year (SGDQ not pictured):

Remember, the more things we decide on, the more chance we have of getting another marathon going.
Last edited by RXFADEZ on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:27 pm

Depending on the size of the schedule, I think anytime between August 4th and August 10th is a good timeframe, with obvious preference towards the weekend.

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Post by RXFADEZ » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:07 pm

August 5th is a Friday and does sound rather appealing. We need to see how many people are going to ESA, and if they will be returning from Stockholm within a week of the marathon's end.

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:32 am

Being based around a weekend is almost a necessity for an online marathon with a more limited pool of runners based off previous experience, though hopefully we can get a decent amount of people able to run on Friday and/or Monday to make it roughly the same length as last year's marathon. August 5th seems like it'd be a rush after ESA depending on who goes, but maybe August 12th is too late? idk.

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Post by RXFADEZ » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:28 pm

Realistically how many people are going to attend ESA, and then won't return home within a week. I imagine very few to be perfectly honest.

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Werster would be the biggest one to fit that bill, potentially. I know he's planning on going and its a hell of a distance from aussie land. Odds are it wouldn't take a week but is he going to want to jump into another marathon so soon?
~

Keizaron
Site Admin

Post by Keizaron » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:24 pm

Keep in mind he doesn't necessarily have to participate. I would obviously prefer if he was part of it somehow (he owes me commentary on a game). :)

Return to “Events”