Valentine's Day Randoms Tournament

Participate in events around the community such as races or marathons!
Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Valentine's Day Randoms Tournament

Post by Amoeba » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:10 pm

People have been talking about doing a quick randoms tournament in the PSR discord, so we thought we'd try and see who was interested and when they would be available. A lot of this is subject to change (and if you think something should be different please mention it in the discord, or here, so we can talk about it), but we're thinking a best of 3 double elimination tourney, preferably set on one day, but likely will be over 2 days to account for people's availability, sometime in the next 2 weeks.
If you are interested, please fill out this form to indicate your availability.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ha00zO ... =send_form

P.S. Both myself and Jazzy are looking at providing 2 (small) prizes for 1st and 2nd place. Again subject to change~
Last edited by Amoeba on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~

Dunsparsley
Bug Catcher

Re: Randoms Tournament

Post by Dunsparsley » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:21 am

Are we talking about Showdown or randomizers in Pokemon Speedruns? For some reason, my mind isn't comprehending what this is saying.

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:24 am

Lol I guess I haven't clarified that. It's a showdown random battle tournament~
~

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:36 pm

Okay, going from the availability form, the best days to have this will be the weekend of the 13th and 14th. Apologies to the 2 people that aren't available on those days, but I had to choose consecutive days that would alienate the least people, and choosing the later weekend gives people a chance to make time for it.

Sign-up form is here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1AY_Vyz ... =send_form

Rules for the tournament:
The sign up deadline is 19:00 GMT on the 12th of February (to give me time to make up the bracket etc).
The sign up limit is 32 people (I doubt we'll get that many).
All battles are done on showdown (obviously).
The tournament is Best of 3, double elimination. This means that each match is the best of 3 random battles, and there is a winner's and loser's bracket. Everyone starts in the winners bracket, and one loss puts you into losers. 2 losses eliminates you completely. (Grand finals will have one person coming from the winner's bracket, and one from the loser's bracket. As you have to lose twice to be eliminated, this means that the person from winner's bracket has to win once, but loser's bracket has to win twice).
It is your responsibility to set up your matches, and to save the recordings. If a dispute comes up for who won, and neither parties have saved -every match's- replay data, you'll have to play to best of 3 again.
If someone hasn't shown up/made any effort at contacting the other player for their first round match, by midday GMT on Sunday the 14th, they will be disqualified. This is to keep the tournament going at a good pace (one person not showing has the potential to hold up the entire thing).
If there is another dispute (disconnection due to bad internet, disconnection because showdown servers suck etc) then a decision needs to be made in the #competitive-battling channel on discord, amongst the tournament players that are there.
Once you have the results of your matches, post them in the #competitive-battling channel, or message me them on twitter (@bafflingamoeba) if you don't have discord (preferably get discord, I wont be around the entire weekend and other people there can update the bracket as well).

I'll post the challonge link in here in a few days, and keep adding names as they sign up.

First place prize for the tournament is a copy of Pokemon Trading Card game for the gameboy.
Second place prize to be announced.
~

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Re: Valentine's Day Randoms Tournament

Post by Amoeba » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:01 am

~

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:03 am

Sign ups are now closed, and the tournament is now open! Check the challonge page (http://challonge.com/PSRrandoms) to find your next match. If your next opponent has a twitter handle in their name, its worth tweeting them as well as asking in the discord. Remember that not everyone will be in the discord at the same time.

Note: The bracket was randomized before starting, and I haven't altered anything past the initial randomization.

Good luck everyone!
~

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:14 am

And the tournament is finished! Congratulations to werster for 1st place. Full results can be found at the bracket page (http://challonge.com/PSRrandoms).
~

Return to “Events”