Another Attempt at a PSR Marathon?

Participate in events around the community such as races or marathons!
roushmore917
Schoolkid

Another Attempt at a PSR Marathon?

Post by roushmore917 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:22 pm

I wanted to post this here, although I probably would be among the WORST people on the site to organize such a thing, but I want to send wishes that we would make another attempt at doing another marathon.

In light of recent events, it would seem to me that the community might just be a little out of whack as a group, and I want to see US doing more together as fellow pokemon runners. I believe that a marathon would do JUST THAT.

As for myself, I'd be more than willing to run in said marathon and provide assistance to anyone who would be willing to organize (again, I'd consider myself a terrible candidate, I just wanted to throw ideas at the wall).

Mods, feel free to dispose of this topic if lack of interest,

Roush

Sinstar
Jr. Trainer

Re: Another Attempt at a PSR Marathon?

Post by Sinstar » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:36 pm

I'd be possibly interested in helping get something like this going, the last one was kind of forgotten, anyone organising it would need to work together to promote it properly for it to work, if this happened I still think it could be very beneficial to all runners, especially of newer or less well known pokemon runs, most of which are a lot more interesting than boring old Red or something!
Kappa Kappa Kappa Kappa

roushmore917
Schoolkid

Post by roushmore917 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:02 pm

To me it's not as much about seeing the runs as gathering the community together... If we are to make this work, we'd need more internal support.

Amoeba
Cooltrainer

Post by Amoeba » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:04 pm

I'm certainly up for this, got very excited for the last marathon and then quickly disappointed when it died. I'd be more than useless at the technical side of things but very willing to help organise other aspects, like scheduling etc (and obviously run my absolute favourite and best pokemon speedgame ever; Pinball).
~

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Post by RXFADEZ » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:05 pm

11/10 marathon

Gymfreak739
Schoolkid

Post by Gymfreak739 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:00 am

I would definitely be interested in this, but we will need very good organizers seeing how the last one went.

EDIT: I am able to organize game submissions and scheduling if needed.
Last edited by Gymfreak739 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kylovic
Bug Catcher

Post by Kylovic » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Sure I would be up for It.
If we´d do one I´d play Gold any% Glitched there, I could also maybe help with orgenisation but can´t tell 100% ^^

Awesome idea tho
~Kylo TriHard
Going full TriHard on Gold Any% 24/7!

heero_fred
Youngster

Post by heero_fred » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:24 pm

I will gladly help if someone else works on organizing this, as of right now I don't have the time needed to work on this full time (believe me, it's a lot more work than it seems) but I should still have the info obtained during the failed attempt, as well as forms and stuff, so the ones working on it won't have to start from zero

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Actually getting one of these going before SGDQ/ESA would be pretty neat (or after if doing all the organization that fast proves impractical, which I could totally see). I would be willing to help out with the organization/tech side of things this time, but I don't personally have good enough internet to actually host the stream.

G_heinz
Pokémon Trainer

Post by G_heinz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:01 pm

i couldn't host it either, but like most anyone in the community i'm of course toooootally down. sad when the last one fell through.

roushmore917
Schoolkid

Post by roushmore917 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:20 pm

glad to see all of y'all on board for this

Darcovian
Schoolkid

Post by Darcovian » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:16 pm

I can help out with whatever I have to being production, organisation etc but I cant really do much until my exams are over at the start of May, anytime after that I would be down to help with this, the last one before it got cancelled was exciting. I think it will bring everyone together inside the community which is a big ol plus.

Shenanagans
Site Admin

Post by Shenanagans » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:56 pm

If we could get 3-5 restreamers this could 100% be a thing.
Feel free to follow me for all your Pokemon Resetting Needs!

Image Image Image

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Post by RXFADEZ » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:34 am

SO let's say we'd do this around July/August because that's when most people will be off from work/school. We need to organise it so everyone submits what game they're running, an estimate and what times they would be available (with timezones ofc).

But what would we do for cases where multiple people want to run the same game and the same category? Let's say three people want to run a single category and none of them know how to run any other games. Would we choose the people with the smallest estimate? Would we have skype calls similar to the "couch" aspect at GDQs?

Just some things to think about.

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:14 am

I'll answer just the things that I think are obvious in fadez' post and leave the rest open for discussion:
But what would we do for cases where multiple people want to run the same game and the same category? Let's say three people want to run a single category and none of them know how to run any other games. Would we choose the people with the smallest estimate?
This generally comes down to an agreement between the runners themselves - like 90% of such cases are decided either by one runner pulling out in favour of the other or due to unavailability, or the runners just coming to a general agreement. If such an agreement is not reached, then the marathon organizers would choose using the following two criteria:
  • Runner skill - really based on PB etc rather than the estimate, with any proven marathon strats/consistency being a huge plus in this regard.
  • Whether the person is running something else in the marathon already. Marathons quite often prioritize allowing a lot of people to take part and run games, and I don't think PSR would be any different in this regard. So if two people submit one game with very similar skill levels, but one of them is already confirmed to run another game, the second person would probably be chosen to run the first game. (edit: saw that fadez mentioned this, but it's still an important general point so leaving it here)
(alternatively a race could be done instead, but this is on a case-by-case basis and Pokemon races generally aren't that interesting to watch [IMO] so they may not be very prevalent in this marathon)
Would we have skype calls similar to the "couch" aspect at GDQs?
This one is generally solved by having a Teamspeak/Mumble server set up where the runners/organizers/restreamers can hang out for the duration of the marathon, with people dropping in and out as required. This can easily be provided for the PSR marathon, I already have a Mumble server available and could setup Teamspeak just as easily.

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Post by RXFADEZ » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:59 am

Dabomstew wrote: This one is generally solved by having a Teamspeak/Mumble server set up where the runners/organizers/restreamers can hang out for the duration of the marathon, with people dropping in and out as required. This can easily be provided for the PSR marathon, I already have a Mumble server available and could setup Teamspeak just as easily.
This may be getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, but won't there be a delay issue if the re-streamer is in the TeamSpeak as opposed to just using the streamers' audio?

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:48 pm

You generally have the person playing the game also stream the Teamspeak audio for this reason. If that isn't possible, whatever the case may be, you just accept having a short delay like that (it would just be Hitbox delay or whatever stream service you used for the raw game stream. Twitch is generally a bad choice for this because of Twitch delay being among the highest out there)

JP_Xinnam
Schoolkid

Post by JP_Xinnam » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Once again, I would be totally up for being in the marathon. I'd just need to know when!

2dos
Bug Catcher

Post by 2dos » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:08 pm

I can volunteer as a restreamer, though with no date set there's no promises. :P

Fyi, for memeathon we did this setup for restreaming: Runner streams mumble audio and game audio to hitbox. The re-streamer mutes & deafens himself so there's no echo, captures the gameplay from hitbox and restreams it to the twitch channel.

Shenanagans
Site Admin

Post by Shenanagans » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:18 pm

I was actually gonna ask if you would be one of the restreamers 2dos. I think if we can get 2-3 more dedicated restreamers this could work out very well. If anybody would be interested in dedicating time to this I would suggest beginning to make plans, as these things usually take quite a bit of time to plan (especially with submissions). A skype group or mumble group would probably be the best next step.
Feel free to follow me for all your Pokemon Resetting Needs!

Image Image Image

Dabomstew
Site Admin

Post by Dabomstew » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:18 am

Yeah, as I said before I can be part of the organization committee (though I obviously can't volunteer to restream :lol: ). I have some vague ideas of how stuff should work, along with taking some inspiration from the last failed attempt.

It might be time to make a thread for people to express concrete interest in either being part of a committee or restreaming or both (game signups can happen once the format/potential timeframe is nailed down a bit more). Does this sound good?

Sinstar
Jr. Trainer

Post by Sinstar » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:06 am

I clearly can't do any restreaming, but I'd be interested in organizing, promoting, planning runs etc. We need as many people on board as we can if we want to make it work where the last one failed.
Kappa Kappa Kappa Kappa

roushmore917
Schoolkid

Post by roushmore917 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:53 pm

Sorry that I haven't said anything on this topic for a while, but just showing up to say that i'd still be interested, but that I haven't had a lot of time to actually do much with this.

If 2dos can restream, and maybe we can have 1 or 2 people do backup stuff with that, perhaps we can start off making this a reality.

Meebs seems to have expressed an interest in making a schedule (correct me if at all I'm wrong), and we can set dates when we find all our restreamers and can ensure that all can be set up, right?

RXFADEZ
Pokémon Trainer

Post by RXFADEZ » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:26 pm

So realistically we need to get these things sorted:

1) A couple more restreamers. (Thanks to 2dos for volunteering to be one of them)
2) A submission form for people to submit their game and their run to.
3) A panel of a few people that can decide what goes.
4) A rough estimate of a date (I think realistically some time in July or August and that's when most people are off work/school)

Kylovic
Bug Catcher

Post by Kylovic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:31 pm

RXFADEZ wrote:So realistically we need to get these things sorted:

1) A couple more restreamers. (Thanks to 2dos for volunteering to be one of them)
2) A submission form for people to submit their game and their run to.
3) A panel of a few people that can decide what goes.
4) A rough estimate of a date (I think realistically some time in July or August and that's when most people are off work/school)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1I4SCEK ... I/viewform could be for #2.
I don´t know if thats exactly helpful but it will give us an overview of what all to expect.

And four 4), I think a lot of Marathons are in July/August, we´ll have to see of there are people who attend other marathons already that the date fits there ^^
Going full TriHard on Gold Any% 24/7!

Return to “Events”